Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GOOD T CASE FOR GOOD PRICE???? winch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K-5krazy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. K-5krazy

K-5krazy Registered Member

I have an 87 blazer replaced everything but the transfer case. I got a new 350, a heavy duty TH700, a Dana 60 up front, and a 14 bolt in the rear. What tranfer case would make since for me. I play in the mud and climb hills: stay away from rocks though. I also haved a cracked frame where the power steering box mounts. I have both the bolt on and weld on brace, would a winch make this spot be more seceptable to cracking sorry if i spelled words wrong

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

NP205 are probably the best transfer case out there - bulletproof wise for our trucks.

As for a winch causing frame damage - it probably isn't going to help the frame crack

- but the loads on the frame are different from the steering box (which caused the crack) versus the load from a winch. Steering box is causing side-to-side loads - and there is a moment force (with a lever) created by the steering arm - this is what tears the frame. - the winch would try to stretch the frame - and your frame is super strong in this direction - except obviously in the cracked area. If you have a good repair - the winch should not cause any damage to the frame behind the steering box.

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

NP205 are probably the best transfer case out there - bulletproof wise for our trucks.

As for a winch causing frame damage - it probably isn't going to help the frame crack

- but the loads on the frame are different from the steering box (which caused the crack) versus the load from a winch. Steering box is causing side-to-side loads - and there is a moment force (with a lever) created by the steering arm - this is what tears the frame. - the winch would try to stretch the frame - and your frame is super strong in this direction - except obviously in the cracked area. If you have a good repair - the winch should not cause any damage to the frame behind the steering box.

4. K-5krazy

K-5krazy Registered Member

Yeah I guess the NP205 is the best choice for me. My buddy also recommended the 205 as well. I got a man who used to weld on frames in the military. Remember blazers were kinda the trucks the military used before they went to hummers. So this man is very experienced on blazer repairs. He had welded on blazer frames before so I am sure he did a great job. Thanks a lot for your reply

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would go with a 205 too but properly mantained your 208 is really not that bad worst part is the slip yoke on the t case