Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good thing I went to work today!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yesterday at the end of the day the boss gets everyone together and says (in his raspy Texas accent) Your a$$'$ better be in tomorrow or there will hell to pay. So anyway's I show up this morning and there's only 3 of us out of 10. Let me tell you the Boss was livid breaks out the old cell phone and starts calling these guy telling them to bring back anything they had that belonged to the company and then tell's them they're fired. I was like wow good thing I came in cause I was just gonna stay in bed and say screw it.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's the dude's reason behind that?

...You should ask him if the 3 of you are going to be getting rasies because you are going to be having to do more work to pick up the slack of everyone else getting laid off.[​IMG] ...or not.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If my boss told me to come in on a Saturday I could say no if I wanted to because of a little thing called LABOR LAW. Your boss should read up on them before he thinks he can fire his personnel because they didn't show up for work when they weren't legitimately scheduled. But I noticed that you're in construction, and I know that around here a lot of the construction companies make up the rules as they go until they get fined and shut down.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

To tell you the truth I could care less if I got canned I really dont care I plan on leaving this state anyways.
    It was all over the fact that we have a jobsite that was'nt getting things done on it cause half the people are slackers and take off when no one is watching.

Corey 78K5

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sounds like an @sshole boss to me..

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

But what the frig, the boss said, "Come to work tomorrow", and they didn't come in, and they (sounds like from what you're saying) didn't tell him they wouldn't. To me, that's a no show! They didn't even call and play sick, he had to call them! I dunno, though, maybe if it's the first time this is happening, he should lighten up...

I'm going to work at 10pm sunday night for a couple hours, 'cause it's the only time we can turn everything off... And I keep bankers hours!

And I'm on vacation this monday through friday. Total bummer!!!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 02/16/02 08:34 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

what labor law? the only labor laws I know of are Child Labor Laws... the rest of the assumed laws aren't really there, its just that most companies have a policy in place. the labor laws that exist that I know of are:
    =Overtime must be paid if more then 8 hours a day, or 40 hours a week are put in
    =children under the age of 18 years may not be made to work more then 20 hours a week, or past 10 PM on a school night.

other then that, they can make you work 55 hours a week if they want... go work for motorola some time, and learn about Mandatory Overtime. like Ratch said too, some of the only times certain work can get done is in off hours. liek ratch, I keep banker style hours, but about once a month, I;m at work saturday and sunday night burning the midnight oil to re route networks, rebuild servers, reset the buildings alarm clocks, and camera systems, and intercom, and phone systems, and all the stuff that you can't take down for even 2 minutes durring a work day. I personaly don't mind, since overtime for me is about 20 bucks an hour, and I get the most work done durring those times: crank the stereo, put it over the intercom, and run from problem to problem, uninterupted by people asking me how to formatt CD's, or if windows 3.1 will run on thier brand new compaq because they don't like windows ME, or people trying to talk hardware to me `yeah, I just got a new... cd drive, and a new... monitor card with a chipset on it'

oh well, sorry for the side tangent, and rant...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

8. Can Can

Canada has labor laws......... and even though I don't know I almost guarantee you that the USA does too. On what grounds do you think courts are able to rule on cases of "Wrongful Dismissal"? I would imagine that there have to be some laws that they can refer to........

I'm glad that you like working through the night but I happen to have a family to raise. I don't work for Motorola but it sounds like Mandatory Overtime and what the boss did in this case are two different things.

FYI, I make almost $50/hr when I work OT, but I'd rather spend that time with my kids. It might sound stupid, but that's the way I feel......

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hmm what makes you think I worked though the night. I dont do nights. Yeah I worked on saturday but only cause I wanted to and I had'nt worked a Saturday in a month. I'm not worried about my job cause they would be lost with out me. Not trying to brag it's just fact, if I want to leave when I want to not much they can do about it and if I want to take a day off I do it and I usually dont even tell em.

Corey 78K5

10. Can Can

Ummmmmmm......... I was replying to Rich(Ddragggon) with my last post. Check above every post to see who it was intended for.