Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good time to upgrade my computer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 21, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Any good games or reasons to upgrade at the moment? Vista sure, but I am not changing to Vista until I HAVE to.

I ask, because my next upgrade will be a major one. My PC is so out of date, I need to upgrade everything. This is the first time I won't be able to transfer ANYTHING from one computer to the next. I usually reuse a hard drive, or video card, or memory, SOMETHING. I just cannot do that this time around.

I need to upgrade to an AM2 mobo, Dual core chip, DDR2 ram, SATA hard drives, and a PCI-e video card. none of which I presently have. I am weighing out whether to upgrade, or wait off until this computer is just pissing me off to much and then upgrade.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'd wait until you can afford to put together a system that is DirectX10 capable. You may be able to now depending on your budget.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Direct X 10 capable? I must be really lacking with my knowledge because I have no idea what that means.

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Depending on how strong your need is, there will be a price drop for Intel cpus on Aprill 22nd. It may worth it to wait a few weeks.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You can play that game forever with computer equipment. There's always better CPU, better MB, better Graphics card, just a few weeks away. Always. They come out with the new, drop the price on the existing.

You have to make a command descision and just do it.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

We are only talking 30 days not next year.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

All the new games are going to be heading for Direct X10, and you need it to fully use Vista's appearance enhancements. The new balls out video card they released a bit ago is the big name in cutting edge right now.

Link Of Direct X10 Cards available at newegg...

I'd wait until you can swing that with a good dual or quad core.

Add the standard SATA drives and as much ram as you like and there you go.

Power supply is going to need to be massive with those type of cards though.