Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good tranny pan or good bed pan?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy#2, Mar 24, 2000.

1. 70jimmy#2

70jimmy#2 Registered Member

I'm thinking of buying a TCI transmission pan, which is forged aluminum, with a magnetic plug. The benifit of being able to add two extra quarts of trans. fluid, it sounds great but I wanted to hear some feedback from anyone that has one or something similiar before I drop $100.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'd check out the Derale pans too. They hold 2 more quarts and have cooling tubes running through the bottom of the pan giving which gives a better cooling than any pan on the market. Wouldn't hurt to put a tranny cooler on too. Your trans will last longer if the fluid runs cooler. For a magnet, get an old/faulty computer hard drive (any used computer store should have one) and use the neodymium (rare earth magnet) which is a powerful magnet. I do this in my axles, engine and other places where a pan is used.

Shawn
    87 K5

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The only negative that I can think of os the tendancy for aluminum to crack while steel will just dent.