Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

good welder??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Apr 28, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Does anybody use the lincon 100hd welder?? I sounds like a good deal since it can weld 1/4 but I wanted to know if it is junk or not. I only am going to maybe make bumpers and sheet metal stuff so I dont need a huge $2000 dollar welder.Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im not sure you have the model listed correctly... could you tell me more about it.. I have numerous Lincolns
    cam

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It is a pretty good unit for small stuff (like you mentioned). The biggest draw back IMO is the duty cycle. I have done all of my steel work with a 110V. I say if the price is right and you want it for small hobby type jobs, go for it.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

It is the loncoln weld-pak 100HD

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Home Depot carries it.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt buy that one... its ok for doing very minimal repairs to light guage stuff... but it doesnt have the amperage to weld anything reliably for the kind of things you might want to do in fabrication etc...its duty cycle is short,,, you WONT be happy with it and will have spent good money and not have it do what you want... they get sold all the time by PP on ebay for the same reasons... not strong enough
    You can buy an a/c buzz box cheaply and get good at stick... pretty welds with low hydrogen rods...but sheetmetal with a stick is really hard,,,,
    your best course would be save some bucks and buy a stronger mig... start looking at ebay for the deals and get a feel what they go for... buy a lincoln or miller as parts are easiest to obtain for them
    heres an excellent welding forum for you
    http://www.chaski.com/ubb/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=welding
    If you want more Lincoln info just ask....Ive had them in my shop for years... blue ones are just as good
    cam

7. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

i was lookign at welders i will be getting a 220v 175-200amp

one miller lincoln and hobart are the three i would buy

i have a lincoln 110v it wont even weld exhaust pipe together efficiently had shops check it out thought my welder was bad but im not happy with it next welder will be a miller or hobart...

8. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status