Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Good Years

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ziggyandthemonkeys, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ziggyandthemonkeys

ziggyandthemonkeys Newbie

I'm interested in buying a k5 and am not really sure what year to look for. I like all the body styles, so I'm wondering what the best years would be for a potential muddin truck, but also a daily driver? I apologize if this is too general of a post. It seems to me like the later years would be better, just because they're more advanced. Thanks for any help. I also realize this cant really be a rock hard fact, so really whats your opinion on whats the best year.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

That extends to a certain extend, anything 87-91 will have fuel injection which is a common upgrade for a lot of people, so you're one step ahead there. 82 up will *probably* have an overdrive (if auto) which is good for daily driver duty. There are a few draw backs as you get newer VSS, fuel pump = $$$ if/when it goes... etc

i think there is a general concensus that if you can avoid smog, do it, so find out what year is the newest you can buy thats smog exempt and look there or older. Or get a diesel, but dont expect a lot of performance from a 6.2...

Be careful with early 80s to 86, they can be smog nightmares... probably best to avoid unless they are diesels

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Does Ohio do smog testing? We don't do that here, so the smog hardware got the opportunity for "early retirement". I think Ohio does the dreaded road salt, so keep in mind that the '90 and '91 models have galvanized body panels (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). The later you go, the cushier the interiors get, and the later ones went to DIN radios, which isn't a bad thing in a daily driver.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

69-72 their fully convertable and 1st Gen's RULE!

5. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

1973 was the first year of the new body style...they rock. Not as old school as the first gen, but I can fit parts from 1973 - 1980 and some things up to 1987...that's a lot of availability...