Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodbye to free public lands--Get ready to pay $100 for access

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Dec 8, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

An Ohio congressman has forced a measure through Congress to implement permanent access fees for recreation on all land managed by the Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Reclamation. Ralph Regula (R-OH) succeeded in attaching his bill as a rider to the giant Omnibus Appropriations Bill recently enacted in the lame duck session of Congress. The bill was never passed by the House and was never introduced, given a hearing, or voted upon in the Senate. Omnibus bills are considered “must pass” legislation because of the potential for a government shutdown. Some members of Congress use riders attached to them as a way of getting funding for pet projects often referred to as “pork.” Regula’s bill, HR 3283, allows the federal land management agencies to charge access fees for recreational use of public lands by the general public.

The Regula bill will go into effect when Fee Demo expires at the beginning of fiscal year 2005 unless the new congress acts to derail it. Its key provisions include permanent recreation fee authority for all National Forests and BLM land. Failure to pay the fees will be a criminal offense punishable by up to $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail. Drivers, owners, and occupants of vehicles not displaying either a daily or annual pass will be presumed guilty of failure to pay and can all be charged, without obligation by the government to prove their guilt. The bill also establishes a national annual pass expected to cost $85-$100 initially.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:HR3283:

This bill passed December 6th . Get your checkbooks out.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Bunch of BS!

AHHHH, NO SMILIES TO EXPRESS ANGER!!!!!!

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Read the old thread comments and I still think it sucks. Everyone makes a big deal about taxes, yet this one is ok? F that! I agree that if the money went back into the public lands it will be a good thing, but a lot of it won't. I am also guessing there is already enough money there already if they were to manage it right. I hope everyone has to pay these fee;s whether they camp, hike, bike or whatever on public lands.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I didn't realize anyone saw the other one, so I reposted it. I did not post this in land use because no one reads that forum, and this is something everyone should know about. In response to the other post...

Other groups are upset. This was copied and pasted from a rock climbing board. I do not know where the $85-100 came from, but the source was good, so take it for what its worth.

Nature is not a ****ing amusement park. There does not need to be hotels and facilities in Yosemite, or any national park. We have to pay to go just about anywhere in California. What do we get in return??? None of the roads to trailheads are plowed in winter, the only area in California that is actually monitered by rangers is around Mount Whitney and the Rubicon Trail. What is this money going to do??? Build more crap??? Personally I go to the mountains to get away from that sort of thing.

Will the fee keep the rift raft out? I don't think so. I see the 'I paid, I can do whatever I want' attitude coming out.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yep. But they gonna do it anyways. It's been in the general plan for 50 years now. The Sierra Club is actually one of the culprits here. Bet ya didn't klnow about how the BLM is doing a public survey right now to map out and post all dirt road and off road trails in the country. Then they are going to decide which ones to close and which to leave open. And when they do that, you will not be allowed "OFF ROAD" anywhwere in the country unless it is on thier map and posted... How do ya like them apples? :<