Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodbye TPI! :D

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Dec 2, 2005.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yanked out my Healthy running Tuned port injected motor for no good reason... :wink1:

[​IMG]

...Unless you consider a 2004 GenIII LQ9 6.0L LS1 Engine a good reason. Project secret squirrel...
    Bone Stock: 345HP 385FTLBS. Computer has been "mailorder performance tuned"... Long tube headers and dyno tuning to come...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TPI? PSSSH! That's "batch fire" 80's technology. :wink1:

...and yes its still mated to my SM465 after a few calls and $300 to Advance Adapters.

I had Jared at current performance rework my existing harness, and flash my computer to remove the VATS and also since i was converting from drive by wire to a throttle cable throttle body...
    Everything was plug and play when i got it back.. Awsome customer service as well. :bow: :thumb:

I also must give a huge thank you to my friend Kevin, (k5tpi) who has helped me a ton throughout this project.

Should have been running last weekend. If this was a 2002 or eariler motor it would have been.. 2003 and up have serial VATS anti theft system which is more complex than the earlier setups that can be tricked with the right resistor..I got my computer reprogramed and it wasn't quite right the first time.. VATS kicked in and it would only run for 2-3 seconds. :doah:
    Had to send my computer out again and have it reflashed and tested removing the vats system. Just got it back today.. and it runs!!!! :laugh:

Well.. no more time to webwheel.. Gotta button er up and take it for a drive tonight. :saweet:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Doesn't get much better than that. WRITE-UP, WRITE-UP!

3. Ryan B.

write up coming soon...

...as soon as someone tells me how to create a sweet write up like on the main page... how do i get it in that format.. not just a post?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[​IMG]

And I thought DAMN, when did Chevy go to a sideways V8... :haha:

Sweet motor, though. Odd mixture of old (firstgen) and new (motor and ECU, etc). 368ci, something like?

-- A

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool deal Ryan!! :bow:

Not as visually appealing as the old TPI motor, but still cool.

Rene

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Where is the old motor going :rolleyes:

7. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

always a step ahead, very cool

8. Ryan B.

:rolleyes: :p:
    That was one of the Dozens of times of mocking it up and taking it back out to notch the frame slightly and build a crossmember since the motor mounts are totally different. :wink1:

I agree.. I polished my entire tpi setup down to the manifold itself, it looked and ran friggin awsome. But it leaked oil, and after i took it out i realized the harmonic balancer was about ready to fly off. :eek1:
    For this 6.0L I just had to polish the valve covers and paint the grooves red, polish the huge alternator/ power steering bracket.. and also polish the water pump. :crazy: Probably 12-15 hours in just that so parts of it would shine like my old tpi setup.

Its going to get regasketed and a new balancer, then put in something. ;) Maybe a sand rail or something tube frame.

You know it dude. :saweet: Let me know if you need any help or info with your tpi swap.. TPI is nothing compared to how involved an LS1 swap is.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was / Is your TPI Speed Density or MAF?

Are you considering selling anything off it? I'm looking for a `730 ECM. A guy can find em on Ebay all day long, but none of them come with the memcal :doah:

10. Ryan B.

Mine was Speed density.
    I'm keeping it all together for a future project.
    I'll look tommorow and see if my chip is removable from the memcal... I believe it is...
    Then i could possibly send you a copy of my chip for a small fee, and you'd just have to have the 730 ecm.
    PM me.
    :wink1:

Ryan

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SWEET!!

I think it's time for a new "burnout video"...!!!!!!

Nice Job RB...... Project Secret Squirrel is no longer a secret! :thumb:

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sweet, Gen IIIs are the ****. I'm on the look out for a LQ4 6.0L. Dad's 69 Firebird is screaming for Gen III technology and a 6 speed :D

You now have about the best K5 I would want. First gen with a 6.0L and a SM465 haha :D

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

too cool man too cool

i have always wanted to do that, totaly the best of both worlds, maybe with your info one day i could:D:D

:waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

14. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

:saweet:

Lets go wheelin. :D

15. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

:bow: That AWSOME!!!

16. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Nice!

If I had the cash, I'd do a nice LS1 or LS2 in my K5 because of the light weight all alum block/heads and power they put out. In stock form, an LS1 will easily produce 385hp with no mods! I actually built a 6.0 LQ9 for my 02 Trans Am WS6. Had forged Diamond pistons, h-beam rods, AFR heads, LS6 manifold, and a comp turbo cam. QMP Single T76 turbo kit mounted on for that little extra power...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  17. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

Are you going to have custom long tubes built or have you found some that fit? I am puttting a lq9 in my 71 2wd and havent seen any headers that fit.

18. Ryan B.

I will most likely buy some F-body or Truck Full length headers.. Then cut and rework the tubes wherever need be. :thumb:
    No matter what it will give me the flanges and some tube to work with.

HOLY HORSEPOWER BATMAN!
    Put probably 30-40 miles on er today.. And holy crap does my truck have more power! :bow: :saweet:
    It'll light the 37" tires just hammering it from like a 10 mph roll... no clutch drop needed... My old motor would never do that. :eek1:
    Not only is the torque pretty kick ass, but the midrange and topend on this LQ9 is friggin amazing. Pulls VERY HARD from 3K-6K+! :eek1: :bow:
    I can't believe the motor is this potent in stock form. I had a huge smile driving around today hearing the 37's spin. :cool: :pimp1:

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I should have bought an LS1 for my S10. After all the money I spent building my 383 I could have bought a junkyard LS1 :doah:

20. Ryan B.

Did i mention i picked up this complete 6.0L for $1K? And it has VERY LOW miles... like 15K or less.. :wink1: :saweet: