Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodwrench Engines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jan 18, 2001.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if the GM Good Wrench New engines are worth buying? Our local dealer said that these engines are a direct replacement (Depending on your particular application per VIN number) for the original engine in my K5. I was quoted $2025.02 for a New long block with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. He said this engine is the direct replacement for my 5.7 TBI engine. He also said that it is a 4 bolt main block..........Det45

One Fine 89.....

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just bought one for my K5. But mine was a 86. And the 86 did not have a 4 bolt And was the odd ball year. So I bought the 85 style and replaced the flywheel. Mine was a 350. I have about 2800 miles on it so far. I love it. But I got a 3 yr 50,000 mile warranty on mine. Mine was also direct from the chevy dealer for some reason the GMC dealer wanted more. Mine was only $1349.00 plus $49.00 for the flywheel.

Become one with nature...........Then marinate it....

3. wi86blazer

wi86blazer Registered Member

My 89 K5 has a GM crate motor in it with 56k on it now - runs great.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I love mine! The owner before me put it in using a cheesey distributor and hooked up that vapor lines backwards but its running awesome now. Check out paceparts.com it has the $1,400 motor the previous post was talking about. Keep in mine you get no manifolds, carb, etc, but its still a good buy.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

5. northgate

northgate Registered Member

I've installed about 30 Goodwrench engines and had one failure. My customer was 250 miles away when it happened and the nearest GM dealer replaced it at absolutely no cost to him. I think it is the most economical 'stock' engine with the best warranty you can buy.

6. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Reliable but....

No Power. You could piss in one and it would still run. Very low compression, all cast iron, made in Mexico. Direct replacement, no your origional engine was made in America. If it were my I would pay 2 to 3k for a quality rebuild.

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Reliable but....

Sorry, those were the old "target motors" GM changed all that. Those target motors were junk you had to just about rebuid them........

Become one with nature..................Then marinate it...

8. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I bought a GM Goodwrench 350 for my 78 recently. I don't know if it is the same engine that you are considering, but I am really disappointed with mine because of its lack of power. I added an Edelbrock Performer intake and cam in an attempt to get some more power out of it, but it is still much too weak for me. I will be replacing it as soon as funds allow.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

They're rated at 230-250hp with headers. That is more than pretty much all of the OE carb 350's. There was a good series of articles in Hot Rod magazine about the Goodwrenches, where they dyno'd one and then built it up step by step. With just a cam and intake the thing was about 280hp, if I remember right. It's no ZZ4, but it only costs half as much, too.

djohnsn,
    How much power does it take for the engine not to be "weak"?

Maybe mine just feels strong because of the nice 1st in my 700R?

<font color=blue>Dan Quayle (extending his hand during a campaign stop) "I'm Dan Quayle. Who are you?"
    Woman: "I'm your Secret Service Agent"</font color=blue>

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

First off let me clear up a few things. Since your looking for a newer than 86 your motor is more $. I think Pace lists it as $1800. They seem to have the best price. Now I have one for the pre86 that I put in my 79 and I love it! it runs great! Power is much better than the motor it replaced. As for those complaining of power...I don't know whats up with that. These are 50 state legal engines of about 8:1 compression. They will run on Regular unleaded. They may have other issues like wrong gearing etc. I can say for a fact that in a pretty stock truck with 3.73's and 31's I'm scraring the hell out of most of the punks in rice mobiles by taking them at the line and keeping them behind me. If you got 3.08's and 35 inch tires it's going to be a dog and that's not the fault of the engine. The engine was set up for a stock vehicle (meaning 30 inch tires and 3.08-3.73 gear) and it's power range with the cam it comes with will reflect that.
    Personaly for the money if you looking for a good replacement motor this is the best bang for the buck. Most rebuilds only carry a 12 month 12k warranty. I belive these have a 36 month 50k warranty. Even for the $1800 I think your motor will cost you comming in close to what a good rebuild will be on your exsisting motor. Yes these are made in Mexico and yes there is a lower Nickle content in the block and that does mean your not going to get quite the miles of your original but it should do as well if not better than a rebuild.
    GM also sell some performance motors with bigger power numbers and still a great warranty if you want more power.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i ordered the caprise motor from Jim Pace and they shipped it to my door for a total of 1750.00 not a bad deal considering the local dealer wanted about 2800 for the same motor...i would get it from pace!

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

12. windrider

windrider Registered Member

Jasper make decent replacement motors too. They have 3 yr 36000 mile warranty...maybe even more. They have a web site too. www.jasper.com My friend owns his own shop, and all he installs are either Goodwrench motors or the Jaspers. They also have a class 1 motor designed for towing, which may work good in a heavy blazer. They will also custom build one for you.