Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

goodyear ats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scotto0609, Feb 4, 2004.

1. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hi. I am new here,just wanted a opinion on 315/75r16 goodyear ats. Mainly need them for flotation on the beach for a crew cab with a camper on back. thanx /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. scotto0609

OK I will take any words of advise on the goodyears.Will they be worth the extra money over a equal size set of say pro comps,bfgs,dick cepeks. Thanxs again /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the sts wear poorly. I would push you towards the new nitto tera grappler. it comes in a metric size (35-1450-16 eq) it is a mild tread but the extra width helps in the sand a lot. Otherwise I have heard that the sts do well in sand for their size.
    Just my .02

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont know about that size but I run the 32's and they pretty well in snow, gravel, sand pea-gravel. Never been on fine sand though. I really like them, I wish they hadn't discontined the 35's /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'd get the 315's but they are a 33 with a 16" rim the rim I want only comes in a 16x8 with a 4"backspacing and I would not like that.
    on any account Goodyears AT/S's are tops in my book for Daily Drivers and lite-weekend wheeling. My buddy has them on his ext cab Dodge ram and ran around the badlands in attica Indiana all day. Pea-gravel (sand dunes), rocks, water/creek bed, mud pit and then I ran them the last three winters /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif They wear like iron, I have 58K miles on mine with just a hair of tread left

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] He never air the tires down all weekend either, towed a camper to and from that weekend too

Example of the sand dunes
    [​IMG]

My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with 32x11.5x15 AT/S's at about 56K miles
    [​IMG]

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'll give you my opinion, but I'll warn you.....I think Goodyear tires SUCK! When i was a mechanic with toyota, We had nothing but problems with the RTS tires that were on the "TRD OFF ROAD" Tacoma's. When I was at ford, We had problems with The Invicta series thay ran on alot of cars. When I was with.....Goodyear, well I could go on and on..
    But thats just my opinion!! I always thought that Goodyear tires were overpriced and basically junk. When the "gaterback" tires first hit the market. I HAD to have a set for my 77 T/A 255-50-16's. Big mistake, big waste of alot of money. took them off and went B.F.G.'s.
    You would be better off with B.F.G's Or anything else!!

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'll give you my opinion, but I'll warn you.....I think Goodyear tires SUCK! When i was a mechanic with toyota, We had nothing but problems with the RTS tires that were on the "TRD OFF ROAD" Tacoma's. When I was at ford, We had problems with The Invicta series thay ran on alot of cars. When I was with.....Goodyear, well I could go on and on..
    But thats just my opinion!! I always thought that Goodyear tires were overpriced and basically junk. When the "gaterback" tires first hit the market. I HAD to have a set for my 77 T/A 255-50-16's. Big mistake, big waste of alot of money. took them off and went B.F.G.'s.
    You would be better off with B.F.G's Or anything else!!

7. scotto0609

Yea. This is what i needed.I liked the nitto's too,but have not heard one thing about them.It's amazing i always have had good things from my experience with goodyear products. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] these are ST's

[​IMG] RT's

These are the AT/S's he asked about
    [​IMG]

Agreed RT's suck had alot of trouble getting those balanced on dads truck (2wd by the way... )
    GS-A's done well for me for two years
    AT/S's are /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

the 315's are LT315/70R16 (33.6 overall tall, 12.7" wide)

9. scotto0609

Also forgot to mention that the permits for beach call for no larger than a 33x12.50 tire.Thats why I am lookin at the metric tires,for a little fudge factor if i need it.My thinking is if its aired down it will be within spec! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have the 35x15.50x15 Goodyear AT/S JJ can't find. I am very impressed with their performance. They really improved the ride of my 'Burb, and they are the best snow tire I have ever ran. I tend to park in the yard during the winter months, and I find it not necessary to lock it in to leave in the AM. This is with an open rear end also. The BFG knockoffs I ran last year required locking it in with lots more wheelspin. I feel if my Power Locked rear axle were installed, locking in 4x4 would be unnecessary.

Cutting doughnuts in the hard packed snow in the parking lot is much more difficult with these than the BFG MT knockoffs I used to own.

Loose dirt wasn't a problem either, but I have no experience with sand.

Just my .02 cents.