Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear, AZ

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bigjbear, Nov 4, 2005.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Hi guys, anybody know anything about Goodyear, AZ? I just got a job offer with TIMCO in Goodyear is why I'm wondering. Is the cost of living out of sight or livable? How are schools? Crime? Anything I should know about? TIA!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

It used to be a small quiet town on the west side of Phoenix, but with this housing boom that is all old info. And they annexed all the surrounding farmland so you'll probably be living in a new subdivision. New schools wont have much of a track record yet. And housing can cost as much as you can spend. For example, one guy bought a lot for $180,000 [was a cotton field last year] and by the time he put a $400,000 house on it, the lots were selling for $240,000. So thats $640,000 for a house in a quiet little town on the west side of Phoenix :shocked:
    I have heard on the news recently that the average house cost $250,000.
    But you have to see how much they are gonna pay you, to decide if thats affordable living :haha:

4. 73burban

73burban Registered Member

I live in tolleson, bought my house for 123,900 base.. plus add on stuff, it was 149k and some change. I am at 107th and lower buckeye, down at 83rd ave and lower buckeye, my house base is going for 328,900. This is 2 years later.

Further west gets cheaper (I think) and the growth in the west valley is huge. Then again, there are arguments for growth in every direction from Phoenix.

Schools arent too bad, but Az education is pretty low compared to other states... I am sure you can find stats on it (few too many cocktails made me lazy for searching).

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Actually the Kyrene District is/was rated one of the top 10 in the country as far as public education goes. Their teachers are some of the better paid and lower amount of students per room.

6. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Last time i was there i thought i was in mexico.....
    But it has been developed alot since then along I-10.

DW

7. bigjbear

I understand the good school in a state full of bad ones. Georgia is 49 or 50th, but the schools here are good. Looks like the AZ housing boom is worse than GA's. Definitely have to talk money and fly out for a look-see before I say yes or no. Thanks guys.

8. bigjbear

I hate talking money in public, but what would you guys consider a good annual wage for the area? You can PM me if you want and I'll let you know the offer, but I don't want to post it in the open. Thanks for any help.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It depends on how well you want to live. If you are talking unskilled or semi-skilled labor then you aren't going to make squat in Phoenix because the illegal immagrants have driven the pay scale for labor way down. If you are talking skilled work then you can make some decent money.

Talk to Rob. He can probably give you the best rundown on that area of the world and pay scales.

Harley

10. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

All depends on what area of Phoenix you're in. Like blazecraze said some areas are great. I grew up in Gilbert and whenever any kid moved in from UT, CA, etc, was always behind everyone else in school. We also have many charter schools (privately run, but publicly funded, so no tuition). Some are very good, and much more focused on academics than public schools.
    As for the housing market, it's started slowing down the past two months. If you get a good realtor that's very familiar with a small area you're looking in you might be able to find a smoking deal. Many investors have started dropping their prices in order to get out. Also, you don't have to wait 6mon-1yr to get a tract house built anymore.