Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear Large tires, news?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 13, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Are the larger Goodyears still out of production?? I really really really wanted and still want to run 37 Goodyear MT/Rs on my daily driven K5 but since at least Tirerack doesn't have them I will be going with TSL 38s.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No big loss, you'll like the Swampers better anyway.

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I had ordered some MTR's at Sears. After all the talk about the dealys I asked the auto manager to call and check. Yes, they are still backordered. If I wanted to get the MTR's they wouldn't be shipped until December or January
    I just got the BFG Mud TA's instead

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

BFG 37s are expensive and only 17" rim. Goodyear is really gonna hurt themselves with this. I know I will love the swampers but its my daily driver and money is tight and since I'm on high risk insurance its only going to get tighter so I would like MT/Rs for wear.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get BFG A/Ts if you want wear. MT/Rs are a soft tread compound that wears quicker than a BFG M/T on pavement. Those things were designed for rocks and are more expensive than the BFGs. I agree they're a really good functioning and even cooler looking tire, but if you want something that doesn't wear out quickly, get a set of A/Ts for the street, or go for a tire that is harder than the MT/R.

I'm personally going to get an A/T or even an A/P tire in 35x12.50 for DD duties should I ever decide to drive my truck on the road and then I won't have to worry about burning up my next set of Swampers on the road.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tirerack.com the 37 BFGs are $249 a tire I believe, the 37 MT/Rs are about 170. And since the BFGs are 17" rim, I'd have to find a cheap 17x8 with 6.5" 8 lug. Anyone know the wear characteristics of SSRs? Maybe the extra $70 a tire would eb worth it to get the 37x12.50 SSRs

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My SSR's wore quickly on the street. Rockstomper makes 17x8" wheels for $75 each and you choose the backspacing.