Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear military tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5-CJ5, Apr 11, 2011.

1. K5-CJ5

K5-CJ5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How many people have tried the 37x12.50x16.5 military tires on their rigs. I need a set of 37-40" tires and they are in my price range, plus the blazer already has 16.5 rims. Please let me know your on and off-road experience with these tires. They are the Goodyear mt humvee tires.

2. NorCal_Chris

NorCal_Chris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great on road. Great tread life. Great price

Suck in mud, somewhat wimpy sidewalls, not a very flexy tire.

If your a mild wheeler with mostly street time they would be perfect. Just dont expect them to perform like a 300$ tire offroad

3. GreenieK30

GreenieK30 1/2 ton status

Old ones can have bad sidewalls and hard rubber. I picked up a set of newer ones and love them. They are a little grooved and work great at about 6 psi. with the stock hummer beadlocks.

4. K5-CJ5

Its for a off-road rig. I have a tire groover so I can make some changes if needed. They suck in mud? I would have thought they were pretty good.

5. GreenieK30

They are OK in mud. The trick to make them perform is to air down, so find some double beadlocks to go with them.

rainier%20vista%205-8-10%20008.jpg

6. combatmatt

combatmatt 1/2 ton status

Ive been in vehicles that use these tires on 3 continents, in snow, mud, pavement, sand, rock, swamp, mountains, praries, and deserts. The only thing these tires have going for them is the fact that they're cheap, they're 37" tall, and they fit well on 16.5 wheels. when the military makes something it has to be suitable for all types of terrain, whether or not its good for all types of terrain is not considered (look at ACU pattern camo :doah:). just my 2 cents.

Also theres a reason they no longer use the MT (military tread not mud terrain) and now have switched to bajas and others beter suited. Not saying that they're worse than baldies or street tires but dont expect great things.

7. K5-CJ5

I can see how they are ok for many terrains and not great on any one terrain. I was hoping they would work good as a mock-up tire and get me going for at least a little while so I could use the money I save on tires for cross-over high steer, and lockers. I plan to add some grooves to the tire via a tire groover and try them out for now.

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

We have some older HMMWV's at work with these. Not wonderful in the mud but not terrible. Better than AT's or car tires. Not as good as the 36" bias plies or a Swamper. They'll get you through a muddy field or trail but don't go to the mud bog and hope to compete.
    Known for having weak sidewalls.

When I'm in the muddy fields I prefer to grab a HMMWV with the older Swamperish bias plies. Just like the "surefootedness" they seem to give in the thick, sticky Kentucky clay.

For the record these and the bias plies have been replaced by 37x12.5R16.5 Wrangler MT/R's of the original tread pattern. They're better but still not Swampers. Limited use is the BFG Baja with the mud-ish pattern. Special Ops guys have everything and anything under theirs.

9. K5-CJ5

I was under the impression that the newer bias ply style tread, which they call goodyear rt/s I believe, were not as good as the mt radial. I have the chance to get either one. the RT/S are 36x12.50x16.5 bias ply, and the MT are 37x12.50x16.5 radial. Is the RT/S a better tire?

Goodyear rt---bias ply
    [​IMG]

Goodyear MT
    [​IMG]
    What do the older, swamper like tires look like? I don't think i have seen them

10. GreenieK30

Those are the two older treads, this is the new one.

IMG_2016.JPG

11. 76RednecK20

76RednecK20 Registered Member

I had the 36's on my k30.

I was really impressed with them. because they were bias they would get that flat spot after sitting for a while.

that was my only gripe. but after warming up they did fine.

I had them in plent of mudd and was pretty happy with them for their price!

12. 76RednecK20

now a buddy of mine has the 37's and uses them primarily on the street and for towing, and hasnt complained once, and recommends them.

13. K5-CJ5

Where can I get those newer tread tires? Is there some place on-line to order them?

Between the RT and the MT (older treads) which is the best for off-road use?

14. 76RednecK20

craigslist is the best place I have found.

My buddy used to be able to get em for 75 a peice brand new. (thats what I paid for mine)... BUT, I can no longer get them like that. I have seen em here and there on craigslist.

15. 76RednecK20

for reference...

here they are on my k30... a few pics.

Oh, and I am not affraid to take my truck in the mudd. never got stuck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. K5-CJ5

Well that helps thanks! They look like they work great in mud. Im used to running cheap at/s anyway and have to work at wheeling with them! Have you run the MT versus the RT II's? How is the sidewall strength of the RT II's?

17. 76RednecK20

if by rtII you mean the 37's... no I have not. my buddy has them on his truck currently. let me find a pic or two...

he likes them but doesnt off road them. he hauls his offroad rig with them.

18. K5-CJ5

The RT II's are supposedly the Bias Ply 36x12.50x16.5 and the MT's are radial 37x12.50x16.5 from what I have been reading. I can get a great deal on either type and want to get the ones that perform best off-road. Im gonna wait a little while and get the H1 re-centerd bead locks, but have decided to do cross over hi-steer before bead locks.

19. 76RednecK20

heres a freinds truck on the 37's..

personally I dont like them as much

[​IMG]

20. K5-CJ5

Yeah I like the look of the RT better also. And you have good experience with them in the mud. How thick are the sidewalls on the ones you have.