Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

goodyear mt/r

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadtruck, Sep 23, 2003.

1. bigbadtruck

bigbadtruck Registered Member

any comments on the goodyear mt/r (37's)? anyone have those? what kinda mileage do u get out of them, ive heard like 40 or 50000 so i dont know, any comments would help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Everyone who has them, loves them. I think that is what I will be getting for my next set, even though my BFG's (and their clones) MT's have served me pretty well.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think the MTR is one of the best all around tires out there. I dunno about getting 50k miles out of them... might be able to get 40k if you really watch your tire pressure and dont do any burn outs or anything else silly.

j

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

40,000? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif daaamn, my dunlop rover R/Vs only lasted 30,000 - and those were more A/Ts than anything. i guess you get what you pay for.... /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

or ya might get 40 miles.. punctured sidewall while on the rocks? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i really dunno what kinda mileage a mtr is capable of, but i really doubt 50k is possible unless you only drive on soft dirt roads around ur farm or something.

j

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I run MTR'S, they are the best tire I have ever run. I'm a snowmobiler, and getting up to the snow, involve's mud, rock's, snow, the MTR'S just keep pulling without fail!

I get about 25000 out of a set, I run em year round, so the pavement take's it's toll on em. Oh yeah, a Detroit in the rear, on pavement, really take's em down. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. bigbadtruck

bigbadtruck Registered Member

my buddy has 37's on his z-71 and he's drove from atlanta to panama city 4x and they still look brand new, his last set were 35's and he got 44,000 miles out of them- he mostly drives on the road too! 4 wheelparts offer for $10 a tire, if u get any punctures they cant fix they''' give u another one for free!! so u cant beat that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think if you want more mileage out of grippy radial tires, choose BFGs, not MT/Rs.

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

AMEN Brother! My BFG's did great. Bout 30,000 miles. Little cheaper than the Goodyears too. Never let me down. ALL MT's suck in the winter in Colorado though. Never stopped me from driving though. Just stopped me from stopping.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Never stopped me from driving though. Just stopped me from stopping

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I loved my BFGs in the snow. Narrow enough not to float too bad, and awesome for conquering my driveway (DEEP snow) in the winter time. My mom walked up and down, sometimes even with the groceries because her ricer won't make it. I just drove and parked right at the top. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I have ran Super Swamper SSR's, Swamper Radials, BFG MT's, BFG AT's, and currently run 37" MTR's. I only have about 1,300 miles on them and have nothing bad to say. Out of all the tires I have ran the MTR's seem to be the best all around tire for what I do. I have not tried them in snow yet though. My BFG MT's are 10 times louder on the street then the MTR's but my BFG's are fairly old. I run a Detroit in the rear so I don't get to concerned with the milage, I figure if I get 25k out of a set of tires that's fine. I also like the BFG AT's and they are available in 37". If you do mild wheeling and don't see serious mud the AT is the way to go. They last a long time (easy 40k if you keep the pressure correct and rotate and balance them) do great in snow, rain, and all around daily driving duties. The BFG AT's also do extremely well on rocks. I chose the MTR's because of the type of wheeling we do around here and daily driving. It is mainly rocks but some of the trails have a lot of mud in them too plus it sees a lot of street time. Decide on what you plan to do with the truck before making a tire choise and you will be much happier with the end result.