Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear MT/Rs in mud

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Mar 1, 2003.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I searched and read quite a bit of info on Goodyear MT/Rs and have found out that they are good tires. But, how are they in mud? I know they won't do as well as a Swamper, but I do 90% of my driving on the road and am looking for something in a 37 in size. How are they in mud compared to a BFg AT?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

BFG AT is crap in mud. I would venture to say that the MTR would out perform the BFG mud terains. Which i would whole heartly endorse as being a hell of a lot better than All terains, which are very crappy in mud. I would buy MTR but they don't make them for a 16.5" rim, if they did, they'd be my first choice of tire. (I have a daily driver)

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

In a test a few years back in one of the 4x4 mags the MTR outdid the BFG MT, and was about 5th out of 13 tires tested. 2 of which where Swampers that finished ahead of it. I have heard good things about the MTR onroad and offroad. I have seen them in action, but not in the mud. I have been told by a friend on here (Dan, DesertDueler) that had BFG MT's on his Burb and also had MTR's that the MTR is better in the mud.

He said at the lake he would start to sink with the BFG and the MTR would pull him out no problem on muddy banks.

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like MT/Rs are the way to go. The terrain is pretty muddy down here in Florida. I've currently got BFG ATs which is why I was asking how the MT/Rs compare. Yes, they Mall Terrains sucks in mud, heck, the even suck in moist dirt that isnt muddy!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, in the 4 wheeler mud tire test, the mtr actually beat the bias Swamper TSL. AFA i can recall, only the Bogger (duh!!!!) and Swamper SSR beat the MT/R in that test. Combine this data with the fact that MTRs are all the rage in the rock crawling scene right now and you *know* the mtr is a great tire.... now, quit asking us about them and go buy some!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

MTRs are what I want too, probably downsizing from my original thoughts to a 33 or 35. Want to buy a brand enw snowmobile now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

OOooh, a snow mobile would be fun. Wonder id I could ride it on the sunny Florida beaches down here? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

FWIW, my 35x12.50x15 MTR's do great in Western Washington mud (more specifically, Reiter Pit). Gobs of traction, they clean well, and I woul say they are slightly better than the BFG M/T's I used to have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Get the SSR's, they're sweet! I want bigger ones now of course, after I just got new ones. But thats how love goes. The prices are pretty close between the two. Thats just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, now that we know how they do in mud, how are they for street driving? Noise level? And more importantly how do they wear? Thanks.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I had MT/R's on my suburban- 305's... they went great in the snow- on the pavement etc....I rotated them every other oil change- bout every 6K...when I sold them, I had almost 18K on them, this was last spring- the guys still runnin them, and the treads still fine.

Brandy

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

MT/R's are very good "all around" tires, they will serve you well in ALL types of terrain. But as you said, they don't hold a candle to Swampers in the goop alone.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran two sets of BFG mud-terrains and then a set of MT/R's. Most of our trails are dirt and there is always mud you have to go through. I thought the MT/R's were noticably better in the mud, and everything other condition except maybe the road.

14. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG AT is crap in mud. I would venture to say that the MTR would out perform the BFG mud terains. Which i would whole heartly endorse as being a hell of a lot better than All terains, which are very crappy in mud. I would buy MTR but they don't make them for a 16.5" rim, if they did, they'd be my first choice of tire. (I have a daily driver)

[/ QUOTE ]

hey i wouldnt diss BFG's to much, i have them and they kick ass! havent got stuck in them yet and have tried ever obstacle almost know to man in them and they kick ass...snow(amazing) rocks(good) mud(good/fun!)rivers(nice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) sand(w/ a 10" rim, good) i like them alot, yea im not doing extreme mud boggin like guys do with 44" swampers, but huge ass mud pits, ruts 2-3 feet deep mud, i do fine!!

15. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

My bro runs MT/R and we both agree that my BFG MT are better in the mud. He also states that the road noise is "unbearable" and will never own them again. The sidewalls are of course super strong which is good, but it makes for a really hard ride.

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hey i wouldnt diss BFG's to much, i have them and they kick ass! havent got stuck in them yet and have tried ever obstacle almost know to man in them and they kick ass...snow(amazing) rocks(good) mud(good/fun!)rivers(nice ) sand(w/ a 10" rim, good) i like them alot, yea im not doing extreme mud boggin like guys do with 44" swampers, but huge ass mud pits, ruts 2-3 feet deep mud, i do fine!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what tire you ran, but from what ive seen the BFG AT is crap, in mud. No comment for on road cause ive never experienced it. But I got a buddy with 33x12.50 all terains and dual lockers and he struggles thru things i get thru easily. Not to mention wastes gas cause he has to spin his tires super fast and barely float over stuff where i just dig thru it. BTW i have BFG's right now. But KM's they are awesome. Im getting some Super Swamper SX's tho. So that should be MUCH better off road.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno about "not holding a candle" to swampers... its just ONE test, but in that 4 wheeler mud tire test, the mtr beat the bias Swamper... and barely got beat by the SSR. It wasnt blown out of the water by the ssr as a comment like "doesnt hold a candle" suggests.

j

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wonder id I could ride it on the sunny Florida beaches down here? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Did you catch the Monster Garage where they built the snow mobile? One guy had a SM that would double as a jet ski. HEHE! It just hydroplaned across the water. Im sure the 400 plus horse nitrous motor prob had something to do w/ it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

You got a pic of that? A friend and I were joking one day after looking at a snow mobile, that you could make a good swamp mobile if you could make a snow mobile float and run a prop or a jet ski style propulsion system.

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Have your bro rotate the tires, and the noise will almost go away. I use to drive with no doors, and no top on my old Jimmy, and could hardly hear the MTRs. The trick is to rotate them every 5,000 miles, and keep them balanced. I use the MTRs for long trips because the 38.5" SXs font balance. And yes the MTRs are way better in mud then the BFG MTs. I would never even think about taking a BFG At in the mud, because you can get stuck in your front yard with them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif