Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear MT/R's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrownK5, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

what do you guys think about these? they will be on a daily driver k5. its lifted 6". its also 1/2 ton w/ stock gears(i think 3.73's) does anyone have pics of this setup? any advice is appreciated.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Size of tire will help.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

they are a good tire, but are $$$$. id buy BFG MT's, alot cheaper and very good tire

4. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

me too, me too

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

my bro and dad run them on their jeeps and like them alot. however, according to them it's a 20,000 mile tire as opposed to the 60,000 guaranteed by bfg. i priced the bfgs at america's tire co out near where you live and they wanted 220/tire for the equivelent of a 35" tire w/ 16" rim 12.5 wide. they've got a good warranty. i contacted black widow engineering, or whatever it's called, and they gave me a slightly better price, but not the warranty.

6. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

My buddy has some 12.5-33-15 on his TJ and they are a nice tire. Went over sand and mud holes with ease. He has about 9-10k miles on them and you cant even tell look brand new, and he drives his SOA jeep like a Vette' Also their loud enough to know their there but nothing too fuss about. If they werent so pricey they would be under my rig.. oh wait i dont have one yet :( Hope this helps

7. colbystephens

just got off the phone with my brother, one of the reasons he went with the mtr instead of the bfg is b/c of the good sidewall protection. that being said, click here for more info about bfg sidewall protection.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

honestly from my experience and my friend's experiences, id say theyre the best all around tire ive ever seen.

9. colbystephens

just want to correct myself - the mtr's have a 50,000 mile warranty - so what i said about it being a 20,000 mile tire is wrong. :) now i guess i'm leaning that way instead of the BFG's. i can get 'em for $4 cheaper per tire too. ;)

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am running a set of 35 X 12.50 X 15's on my Burb. Generally, I am happy with them.

They are a great rock/trail/snow tire:
    [​IMG]

But they are not a Bogger in the mud:
    [​IMG]

I paid around $175 a tire back in the fall of '03. I found a really cheap price from an unheard-of on-line retailer and then called Summit racing and they price matched. So for $705 I had a set of 4 delivered.

Mine are NOT balanced and they ride smooth all the way up to 75mph. I cannot hear them over the noise of the engine.:D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I bought mine from FWP on here. Dunno how long he had them, 3 of them are chunked pretty good (the 2 fronts and the spare). I balanced them with airsoft BBs. Had them up to 55 today and they were about as load as the Bridgestone duelers I took off. I run 37X12.5X15s on a 15X8. Here is a pic of the front 4" lift and the only cut has been to the front of the fender behind the bumper.

[​IMG]
    Here is a head on shot. Kinda dark but you can see proportions.
    [​IMG]
    As far as balancing I mentioned the airsoft pellets and the chunking, At 55 I can only feel the vibes from my rear shaft nothing from the tires. Well, until I hit the brakes but that is another story and thread.

Check my gallery on here there are a few more if you wanna look.

Ira

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know where you are getting those milage ratings from. The BFG MT and Goodyear MTR come with no milage warranty that I know of (as a tire pro). The BFG AT does have a 50K and the new goodyear wrangler silent armor has about the same (can't remember the exact number).

I am a die hard MTR fan as are most of the AZ guys. They don't excel in anything wet though. The BFG's do outlast the MTR's on road, but the MTR's flat out kick ass in dirt. I haven't seen a set of MTR's go past 25K on a light rig and 20K on a heavy one. BFG MT's go around 30K depending on weight. I have run both as have many of my friends. Almost all of them are MTR's owners now.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, everything I have ever heard about MT/Rs is that they tend to kick ass (for a MT-style light truck tire) on dry stuff... and kinda suck in mud. They are definitely a contender for a D/D rig IMO. You might also consider ProComp MTs. I really like the 35" PCs I have on my K5.

j

14. colbystephens

maybe i'm just misreading the warranties listed on the manufacturers' websites.

15. wanna_blazer_buggy

wanna_blazer_buggy Newbie

I've run a TON of different tires on a couple of different rides. I've found that the MTR's are good for a DD/WW. I think of them more as an aggressive all terrain than a true mud terrain tire (regardless of what MT/R stands for).

With that said, what do you want out of these tires? Do you want / need them to be quiet on the road? Do you want them to paddle you through knee deep mud on the weekends? Do you want them to last? You stated that this is your DD - do you wheel the truck on the weekends or any other time?

If you wheel the truck at all in anything wet or muddy, I don't think you'll be happy with the MTR's. If all you're doing is driving on the street with this set up, then you may want to look at the BFG A/T. If something more hard core is what you had in mind and don't mind a little extra noise, check out the Super Swamper Iroks.

Now before I get flammed for even mentioning the Iroks, hear me out. I just put a set of 33x13.50r17's on my Daily Driver (2001 Dodge Ram "Off Road). These tires kick arse! They're no where near as loud as the LTB's that I had on my Jeep (but not near as quiet as my buddies BFG A/T's either). That absolutely ROCK off road. Milage is on par with the BFG M/T's and MTR's that I've seen as well. Mine are the radial, so they balance well, and handle well. I'll probably never buy another kind of tire.... I love my Irok's that much.

HTH

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Very possible, they kinda mislead on them a lot. Show a picture of one tire and state something about another tire. It is the internet vesion of upsellling. I was more hoping to see some numbers for competition purposes.

17. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

B_to_C has gotten over 30K on his 35" MT/Rs on DD K5. They are just now starting to look pretty wore. I think he can get another good 10K out of 'em.

Since he's a poor college boy he'll probably end up getting more than that.:wink1: :haha:

18. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

MT/Rs KICK ASS BABY! :D

Yup, I've passed 30,000 miles with mine and will hold onto them for at least another 6 months (~8,000 miles) I've been extremely impressed with these tires, and the only reason I don't have a new set is because they cost so much. But I think it's worth it to wait a little bit longer to save and get these tires. Also...these haven't exactly been babied tires, but still ride like the day I bought 'em. They've been rotated about every 10,000 miles and.....well they don't call me Hammertime for nothing :D

19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

http://4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/28358/

check that out, talks about their tests in mud. BFG MT is 5th and MTR is 3rd in mud.

you can get BFG's for about $150, and stated above by someone else, $175 for MT/R...if it were me, id go BFG

20. colbystephens

Where can you get them for 150/175? everywhere i've talked to has them at well over 200~