Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear MTR's...Tread life??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 4, 2002.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Goodyear MTR\'s...Tread life??

Any one running these tires in a 35" ??? How do they do for tread life? and highway ride?? Any info would be great. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Goodyear MTR\'s...Tread life??

I've got them on mine. I do alot of highway driving, and have a locker in the rear which also helps wear them away faster. I think they suck on the pavement, to soft. But off-road they rule. In all situations, they work fantastic. Not too loud on the highway either. Hope this helps. My next tire probrably wont be the MTR's due to cost and longevity.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Thanks for writin back, and thanks for that bit of infothat helps casue they are veary spendy. Ill probly just go for the Super Swamper Radial in 36" or somthing. Agian thanks alot . /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

If there ever was a tire i wouldnt buy it'd be the super swamper. I know tons of people on here run them, and will dissagree with me, but ive seen them in action, on trucks equally eguipped as mine, and the MTR's ruled them. Plus, they just dont seem to hold up. Ive seen so many of them that just get chewed to peices when used anywhere but on the road. My next money will probrably go toward the new BFG Muds. They seem to be a great all around tire. Price, durability, and lifespan.

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

ok heres the deal i run 35 ssr's 14.50s on my jimmy ive had them for about a year and 7 months i drive a total of 82 miles a day thats a mix of city and high way plus what i put on them on the week ends and i have about 50% tread still some people have told me that ssr's dont last but from my experience so far so good and i have a detroit locker in the rear (front is also locked up thought id throw that in as well /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) i think im gonna get 2 1/2 years out of them, you also have to consider driving styles

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

yes, i dont doubt that they last, I just have seen them tear themselves apart doing their job off road. I have heard on here how they all tend to loose their outter lugs easily.

As for driving habbits, @ $235 each, i pretty much baby mine too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

you know to be honest with you ive only torn one lug since ive had them

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have 35" mt/r and i like them alot . they wear pretty quickly in the back with a detroit . i have a p/u so it probly would be worse in a k5 . i have never rotated mine and i have no idea how many miles are on them but the fronts still have almost new tread , with lots of cuts and a few small chunks and the rear have about a 3/4 of the tread the fronts have . i hope these ramblings help somehow .

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the 35" MT/R's and I think they are wearing quicker than the BFG muds they replaced. You can tell they have a softer tread compound but they definitely seem to get better traction on and off the road. My truck has a welded rear axle and spends a lot of time off-road where the tires are spinning on dirt, rocks, and tree roots so it's probably not a good basis to judge tread wear.