Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear Tire ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Mar 16, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Anyone running Goodyear RTS tires. I think they were origional on Hummers and can get a good deal on a set of 5 36x12.50x16.5. I can get all 5 for the less then the price for 2 35 inch BF Goodrich mud ta's. The tires look new and have about 80% tread left. What do you think about them?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If they're the non-directional tires, I'd think twice about them. They were crappy offroad and on, and the military re-spec'd the Humvee tires to the MTS's for that reason.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

They are VERY slippery on wet pavement and You might as well not even try them in the snow. They suck all the way around. They fill up with mud before you even hit the puddle. I love my 33's Futura Dakotas RVT's from pepboys at less than $90.00 a piece plus a 40,000 mile warranty and road hazard. Hope this helps.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well the military stopped using the RT's because of alot of reasons: They flat spot pretty bad (smooths after a couple of miles), wear pretty fast (it's a mud tire), tend to dig holes in sand (say, mud tire), the extra knobby tread wasn't really necessary with a HMMWV (torque biasing differentials F&R) and the No.1 reason: vibrate ALOT - BUT the Army uses a runflat/beadlock design that was responsible for most of the shakes with the bias ply RT. The runflat would walk within the tire making balancing futile.

Now the radial MT is much smoother (has a different runflat/beadlock set up) and handles better. I never had a problem in the rain but M998s are known for the high speed capabilities (screaming @ 65mph). But I found the sidewalls really soft. Poked a hole in one just rubing up against the floor lift! Bottom line the: surplus RT's are the deal of the century (shame they're 16.5 rim though). New (super expensive) radial MT's are for civilian HUMMERS that wheel traffic and malls.