Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, May 8, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about going with this tire...anyone ran it or have an opinion?

Can u mount a 12.50 on a 8" rim?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I saw these tires on a cheap for the first time the other day. They look pretty nice as an all terrain sort of style. Yes you can mount 12.50s on 8" rims. The will bulge a little but will protect your rims and it will be harder to break a bead which is usually a good thing.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

most of my "wheeling" is at high speed (dirt/mud)...im also on the highway alot...will the bulge affect handling as far as sway or anything i should be concerned about?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you air properly you will have a good contact patch that will wear alright and handle fine. If you run recommeded air I think they will bulge and at least affect wear.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

im on stock spings...
    my 33x9.5's are 50psi...and i believe the 33x12.5 workhorse is recomended for 35...would 50 fix the bulge but still work without trimming?

6. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

No you will want to decrease pressure in order to get all of tread in contact with the road. if not the center will wear out while the outside looks almost new.if they say 35 then try 30 in the front and 20-25 in the rear. This problem usually happens worst in the rear and rotating a lot can help.

7. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Try wetting a spot on concrete and driving across it. Make sure the wet track that you leave on the dry concrete shows that all tread is contacting ground.

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i only want 12.5's cause i figure itll handle better on pavement than 9.5's

if so...ill sel my rims to someone and buy tires/rims...if not, ill just keep my rims and buy tires....

will handling improve greatly?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am not quite getting the handling thing. Running a little less air pressure will make the tires softer giving mroe to lean and softer ride. I don't quite getting improving handling in a k5, not like you are ever going to get it to the point where it would be considered an awesome handling machine.

10. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Use the rims you have just dont run too much pressure. Dont make any assumptions about handleing when it comes to 4x4s. I had a 76 K5 with 36 inch swampers that road like a caddilac at 80 mph also had a 92 k1500 that road horrible with 32s at any speed.

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok
    its not a rock crawler...its mabye a mud puddle bogger....

im not moving up to 35"s (how many lifted trucks pass you at 80mph?)....i think i should make a post abuot dropping my transer case and getting lowered springs, lol

no i just need a blend of good handling...where i wont turn over taking a turn at 40-50, but what wont slow me down where i have to take 2-lanes everywhere

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

im not moving up to 35"s (how many lifted trucks pass you at 80mph?)....

[/ QUOTE ] You have never been to my town. I see lots of rigs on tires way bigger than 35s doing 80+ past me often. Also know a lot of rigs on 35s and bigger that you will you see ripping down pretty damn quick. You just can't expect an 80s 4 wheel drive vehicle to "Handle". As i see it there is a lot more driving involved than suspension. I can outdrive some modern cars with my K5 just cause i am a better driver than some of the kids whos mommy and daddy bought them a car. Put me behind the wheel of my mom's car and I could scare them to no end but thats not the point. Just have to learn to drive what you have.

13. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

my old man has them on his F350. they are quite on the road and have lasted him a long time. over 5 years and still about 75% tread. they do OK everywhere, dont really exel on any surface exept asphalt. a really good all terrian i suppose. i have borrowed the truck and gone to pismo and it went almost every where on 20 psi (16.5" rims, its risky bussiness lower than 20) i have also used it to pull my truck out a few times and they griped fairly well in dirt and shallow mud. hope this helped