Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goodyear WR. MTR vs.BFG Mud Te. ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Piranha300, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

Which should I buy? Comments please...

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I personally like the Goodyears better... My bro's MT's are lasting a long time and seem to clean themselves better than the BFG's. I also like DTR's(Kelly) over BFG's..

"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Emmettology 101 on 07/20/01 11:16 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd say MTR's myself. I've run both and you won't really go wrong, but the MTR's worked really well in rocks and dirt and were great on the road.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ooohhh, hard decision! [​IMG] I have the BFG Muds (and always have), they are a great all around tire, hard to beat. They wear well, are good in mud, rocks, snow, etc and are pretty quiet and smooth on the highway. They are also pretty tough, can take a beating.

The MTRs are also a sweet tire, I have seen several on some of my friend's Jeeps. They are super grippy on the rocks (better than the BFGs), wear well, and have good highway manners. I think it could well come down to whichever ones you can get cheaper? I don't think you can go wrong either way...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've looked at both and while I've had great luck with the BFG's, the Goodyears are an awesome looking tire. Too bad they cost 25% more than the BFG's! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The MTR's will wear very much like a swamper on the road. They really do melt on the rocks though. Plus as stated they do cost more then the BFG's

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

7. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Oh well, since you're asking... The 35x12.50 Goodyear MTs are the worst set of tires I've owned. Although they looked great, after about 10 K miles, the lugs were all unevenly worn and cupped so they were loud and would vibrate at low speeds (and yes, I rotated often) The tires would not stay balanced either and needed to be adjusted every 1000 miles. I switched to BFGs (although they were ATs) and what a difference! After also driving on Mickey Bajas, Goodyear, Dunlop and Firestone , I am a BFG guy now and for a daily driver will stay with BFG all terrains (3 sets of 35s so far). Just IMHO. JT

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

JST, I don't know if you took your Blazer to an expert, but that sounds like a typical case of toe-in misalignment. Did you check that?

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Or the pressure being wrong.

I've seen the BFG's work. You won't go wrong with BFG's. I've never even seen the goodyears in person yet. I am actually looking into some General Grabbers right now.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

10. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Actually the MTs I had were on my Ford Bronco with TTB front suspension. I had the truck aligned. The pressure was set correctly for my load. Don't get me wrong, Goodyear is a great company and I'm sure you'll find people who love and people who hate every tire out there. When I had BFGs on the same truck with same alignment settings, the BFGs lasted twice as long with much better ride. But... to each his/her own. JT

11. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind , a new revised version of the BFG mut terrain is coming out very soon , and they promise it will be better on rocks!! CC

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The old MTs or the new MTRs? They are different.

The MTRs appear to measure closer to the advertised size per a recent tire sizing post.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

13. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

if it aint broke dont fix it, stay w/ the tried and true bfg's, too many other thing to worry about on our day to day project challenges! just my .02

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're comparing your old MTRs to All Terrains? I've got news for you, All Terrains are ROAD TIRES. If you want off-road performance, sometimes you have to give up a little road manners, that's the way it is. Your MTRs got cupped and ruined most likely becuase TTB is really crappy design to begin with and can't be alligned properly in lifted form without expensive upgrades.

I would consider the MTRs. Yes, they do look cool. I've never seen anyone with them take their truck off-road, but they look like they'd work well.

I've got the BFG M/Ts. I'm going with SSRs next time, but these BFGs are awesome. I don't have traction problems in anything with a bottom to it. I just keep them spinning and I keep moving, no matter what that situation.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. FWP

FWP CRS

Oh AZBlazer, where are you???? [​IMG][​IMG]..........

I've seen these in action(good stuff Doug), right along side my BFG MUDS(not AT's). Good tires, Muy expensive......

<a target="_blank" href=http://fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com>fwp4x4.rockcrawler.com</a>

16. CaptCrunch

This is a common problem w. Goodyears. I have seen a lot of them come in to our shop all cupped w/ no good reason for it. I have also seen it from the wild country tires which I have been told are produced by goodyear... but that could be wrong. Now we sell Kelly tires at our shop and kelly-springfield and goodyear are one company, but I have never seen any problems like that in the AWR line of tires. Actually they are probably the best IMO AT type tire along w/ the BF AT TKO tires for offroad use. I will also say the Pro Comp MT's are the quietest MT's I've ever heard.

-Mikey
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BFG ATs are not off road tires at all. If you go there and make it back with minimal problems with ATs, you weren't wheelin. Those have got to be the most worthless truck tires ever produced, except for shallow snow and rain. In mud they're worthless, I'd rather have drag slicks, well, they'd be about the same.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. CaptCrunch

No tire works all that well in mud except a Bogger or a Swamper will work ok... in terms of offroading w/ an AT, I would make it a normal occurance but they are fine for people who are most on the pavement and sometimes get adventurous going on lower key trails and logging roads. Not eveeryone is a die hard or hardcore.

-Mikey

19. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Remember.............this is a opinion forum.[​IMG]

Thanks for your OPINION

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran two sets of BFG mud-terrains before switching to the Goodyear MT/R's which I have had for about one and a half years now.

1. The BFG's were quieter, when new, on the pavement. They definitely got progressively louder as they wear. As a side note they wore evenly (I've never had abnormal wear with my truck) My last set of BFG's had about 75% tread left when replaced and were still slightly quieter than the MT/R's. No objections to the noise, just comparing the two.

2. I really couldn't notice any handling difference on the road between the two, thought the MT/R's seem to hook up better on wet roads....probably due to the softer tread compound and a little more traction elements.

3. Off-road there was a noticable difference. While the BFG's always seemed to do well, the MT/R's just seemed to work better overall. There were some rock and dirt ledges that before I had to pick the right line and sometimes bump a little to make up, the first time with the MT/R's I was able to walk right up with no wheelspin. Again, the tread compound is noticably softer when doing the "thumbnail test" and there are more slits/gripping surface on the tread. The MT/R's also seemed to get better traction in the mud (which there is plenty of around here). Another guy in our club has a set on a Jeep and also really likes them off-road.

4. The sidewall lugs of the MT/R's are a definite advantage. The trails I go on have lots of dirt and mud ruts in which the side lugs seem to grab on to. Also, the BFG's were showing a lot of scrapes and scuffs on the sidewalls from these ruts after only a year or so on the trail. So far the MT/R's aren't showing anything like this.

5. I can't really compare how many miles to expect because the Blazer is pretty much strictly an off-road rig and only put around 3-4k a year on it. The MT/R's are showing wear do to trail use due to lot's of spinning and a few tread cuts, but nothin worse than the BFG's. My first guess is that the MT/R's won't last as long since the compound is softer.

The cost is the biggest downfall of the MT/R's (35's list for around $200/tire), but in my case I can get them cheaper than the BFG's through a friend, which is the main reason I decided to try them.

A couple of other notes in regards to other replies:
    - The "old" Goodyear MT (directional type tread) is basically a completely different tire than the new MT/R, so they can't be compared.

- Uneven or abnormal tire wear is almost always due to the vehicle, not the tire. Everything from a bad alignment, worn shocks, worn steering components, or improper tire pressure can cause this.