Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GoodYear Wrangler AT/s TOO MUCH NOISE!!!!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by finnd, May 5, 2002.

1. finnd

finnd Registered Member

I just put a set of slightly worn GoodYear Wrangler AT/S on my suburban and I am getting a HUGE amount of road noise from them. I previously had brand new BFG AT's on my yukon and they didn't make nearly this ammount of noise. These were balanced at time of purchase, and my alignment is true. I have read reviews telling me they shouldn't create too much road noise.

Was I spoiled by the BFG AT's? Should these really be that much louder? All I can think is that they were, perhaps, unevenly worn by the previous owner, and now that I have them I am wearing them straight. Meening, they are truely in balance, but no longer level if they wore from toe in or something in the past?

Is this something that will pass after a few thousand miles? I average almost 1000miles a week, so I can certainly live with the noise if it will go away soon. I am just concerned the noise may be pointing to a larger issue.

Thanks,

2. I bet you have a wear problem like your thinking. I have MTR's on my 95 Yukon and they are not very noisy at all. Just a little more noise than BFG AT's that I had on before. I'm not sure you will be able to correct a wear problem - I didn't rotate my BFG's enough and had to replace them finally cause they started to handle so badly. Rotating them put huge vibrations in the front end.

3. finnd

finnd Registered Member

I ended up taking the truck in to NTB for alignment and balance. Turns out three of them have really bad cupping from the previous owner not rotating them. The 4th one was the tire the guy must have had as a spare since it still had all the little rubber nubs that the new tires have. So, for $180 I got a basically brand new 305/70r16 AT/S and 3 used ones. I'll get a single new tire and put both new on the front. That should help reduce the noice quite a bit.

4. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

even the most road friendly mud tires will be all kinda loud if not maintained properly. my buds wild country 33's are way louder than my swamper 36's