Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GoodYr MTRs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Dec 9, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How good are these on wearing? Performance off road? Compared to TSL radial? Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They are awsome. They wear great, perform awsome offroad. I have never had the TSL radials, but I have a few friends who do and they were fast and dont perform any better than the MTRs. I am going to step up to TSL SXs becaus ethe 37" MTRs are 550 bucks a piece :( If they werent so expensive I would put another set on.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

One of the 4WD mags did a bog test on lots of mud tires and the MTR's were better than everything except the Swamper and Bogger. Plus, they are so bad looking.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Very impressed with these tires in every respect.

--Rob

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

How do they measure out? Are they realy 35" tall or at least close? When I was thinking of getting a set they ran small for the listed size. That is why I went with BFG.
    If the 37s were really closer to 35"-36" they would be just right for 4.56s. Too bad GY and BFG have priced themselves out of the 37" market. No way I would pay $500 ea when radial Swampers are less than 1/2.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree, I was looking at the MTR 37 inch tire until I found the price at $490 compare to boggers at $222. Not to mention that the MTR is only in a 17 inch wheel, which are hard to find and spendy. You end up looking at $625 per wheel/tire pretty quick. I will be getting the Boggers for Mud. Anyone look at the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip. I was wondering how they hold up for daily and trail driving. The Boggers would be for winter trail runs. The Dirt Grips would be for daily driving and trails when it is not winter. 36/14.50R16 would complement the 37 inch Boggers quite well I think. Any thoughts.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree that the undersized crap sucks... I want a real world 36" and that pretty much has ment using a 37" tire... I would love BFG's or MTR's in a 37, but way spendy!!!! [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree that the undersized crap sucks... I want a real world 36" and that pretty much has ment using a 37" tire... I would love BFG's or MTR's in a 37, but way spendy!!!! [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have had my 35 in mt/r s since august
    and they still look new!!!

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

10. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

My brother is running some 37x12.5x15 goodyear MTR's on a 4.3 powered yota with a d44 front and taco rear. They work great for wheeling. He has not put any highway miles on them yet. I will let you know more about them when he does more driving on them. He paid $1000 dollars for all four tires. A lot of the Arca members sell their tires after the season. They get them for $700 dollars for four tires because they compete, and turn around and sell them for $1000-1500 dollars for tires that have only seen 30 miles or so of trail. Many times thay are still in great shape.

82 Toy LB with Marlin, locked, 36's,38's,35's depending on month/mood. 79 K5 with 3/4 ton running gear, 36's.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a sweet deal. Too bad they won't do it for everyone. Kinda pisses me off when the manufactures do that sort of thing.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of the 35x12.50 MT/R's on my Blazer that are almost 2 years old now. I had a couple sets of the BFG Mud-Terrains before and, in my opinion, the MT/R's are better off-road in all conditions (mud, rock, dry dirt, etc...) by a noticable amount. The sidebiter tread seems to protect the sidewalls more when running in ruts and rocks, the BFG sidewalls started looking chewed up after a year of wheeling, the MT/R's do not show any signs of sidewall wear after 2 years.

On-road they seem to be a little louder when new than the BFG's and maybe don't handle quite as well (but kind of hard to judge with a truck with no swaybar, a lift, lockers, and 35" tires). I really can't tell how long they will last on pavement because the truck doesn't get driven on a daily basis. It only gets driven to the trails and every once awhile around town or to work.

The rubber compound is noticably softer than the BFG's, which is probably why they get better traction, but seems to be holding up as well or better to trail abuse (cuts in the tread and sidewall) as the BFG's.

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    MTR's have a very weak sidewall by design(all Radials do).
    For a heavy 4x4 bite the bullet and go Bais Ply/Belted and forget
    about sidewall damage .