Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

goofy wiper problems---NEED HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jhrody, Apr 29, 2003.

1. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

the wipers in my '83 Jimmy are not working.

There is a brand new motor in it which will work when I use a jumper wire.

I'm almost thinking the wiper switch is to blame, but not sure. Reason being, the dash lights seem to act weird--- the right turn signal indicator goes on when the left turn signal is used and vise/versa. Also the climate control panel light flashes with the turn signals as well.

If I bypass the wiper switch, the dash lights all work fine.

I have tried 2 used switches but to no avail. Haven't tried a new switch yet.

I have also pulled out the wiper delay box inside the dash, and tried some used non-delay switches hooked up to the harness, which didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas? This is the in-dash type switch this model year.

2. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

Re: goofy wiper problems

ANYONE????? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Re: goofy wiper problems

I'm replying to offer support unfortunately no help at all as I am a dumb@ss. Lots of folks looking at your post but scratchin their heads or balls. Probably both.

Tom

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Check your wiring.

It sounds like you may have a short somewhere.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Hmmm...Where is the head-scratching Graemlin when you need it?

Anyway, this is a strange problem. Are you sure that the wiring has not been changed? Was the column changed or a new turn signal switch put in at some time? When the wiper control is unplugged do the turn signals and dash lights work correctly? If so, the problem is probably not with the wiper switch, but a wiring error with (at least) one of the wires coming out of wiper switch.

Come on, be honest. Have you installed any new electrical gizmos lately?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd hafta concur, your wiring is messed up somewhere. Trace everything in your column out as far as you can, keep an eye out for rubbed off insulation anywhere, and look for connections that may be shorting.

This could end up being a lot of work...

7. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

nope havent installed anything lately.

everything works great when i disconnect the switch. I cant seem to locate any damaged wires either. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

tell me, do the dash lights and signals work right if you unplug the connector from the multifunction switch? if so you probably need a new m/f switch.... if it has the wiper/turn signals on one anyways...

9. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

the switch is in the dash....not on the column

if i ground the switch, while it's plugged in, everything works fine

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What do you mean ground it? What's your procedure? I don't remember anything about the dash switches, could that be the problem, no ground? Or do you mean when you take it out of the loop?

This has to be a wiring issue, unless you swapped in two bad switches?? Sorry I can't be more help!

11. gumneck

Sounds like you solved your problem. Find out where the ground wire is(if it even has one) and trace it out. If it doesn't have one and is grounded via the base to where it mounts to maybe it needs cleaning up where it makes contact. Otherwise make yourself a separate clean ground wire.

Your probably already knew all this.
    Tom

12. gumneck

While wipers are on discussion, guess I'll jump in again with my woes. Mine are the column type with the intermittent delay deal. Anyone know how difficult it is to service them if they are giving a couple of wipes on delay like normal than get stuck for extended to indefinate no wipe. Maybe not worth the hassle.
    Tks,
    Tom

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Assuming a 2 speed system (3 pos sw:off-lo-hi; push for squirt) and working from memory, not the manual. Its a 3 contact sw w/ power for the wipers, power for the washer, and ground. Put a togle sw in place temporarly and see if that make it work. If it does the sw is bad. You do have a good fuse in there, right? I remember it being a PIA to trace out. I was in a hurry to make a trail ride whin I fixed mine (had a bad motor & sw, and noone had either in stock)so I just used a newer motor (plugs are different) off my parts truck and two togles on one normal & one momantary, and left out the high speed side. Hope this hels a little.