Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gooseneck trailer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by yunit, Jan 21, 2004.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Wondering how I should order my gooseneck trailer for towing my rig with?

Length?
    Width?
    Axles?
    etc...

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Well, I like big trailers, almost on the verge of over kill... But I will recommend getting the 19 LB I beam and get the bridging installed. I have the tri axle torsion style axles on my, no springs to rattle or break. I like the tri-axle (7K each) over the two 10,000 pound dually axles because there are two less tires and it is rated 1000 lbs more gw. Also the 7K axles run a single track instead of a dual track so they pull much easier in snow, rain, sand, etc. Make sure you get the tongue with an adjustable height, very handy. Also with the adjustable hitch you can take the hitch off with two set bolts and that helps prevent theft while the trailer is sitting. You take the hitch out and put a pin in the bolt hole with a lock on the inside and nobody can hook up and leave........

John

3. chevyracing

Oh, also get the wiring so it is incased in conduit. Avoid PJ trailers.... LED is an expensive option for lighting but is worth it in my book....... But not necessary.

John

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im looking at a 12.5K lb gooseneck. 26 foot, no dove tail, brakeaway kit and both axles have brakes. im not sure on the width, but i think its like 80ish inches. its a deck over. i feel and see no need for a low boy at this point. i would like one, but i can not justify the cost.
    Grant

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Can you fit two K5's on your trailer??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. chevyracing

Yes 2 K5's will fit. In this photo my blazer is about 4 feet back from the neck.

[​IMG]

7. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

How long is your trailer? I`ve been thinking I need a 32footer to haul two Blazers.Is that a SRW truck,and have you ever hauled two Blazers with that setup? I have a 02 F350 SRW. I was wondering if I needed a DRW for that kind of load.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I think you'd be ok with two. I had a hotshot driver haul two M1009 CUCV trucks on one 48' gooseneck for me and he was drivin a SRW F250. It was in the rain non-the-less. Had to go about 60 for the two hour drive but no problems.

9. chevyracing

My truck is a Dually witht he Cummins. I like the stability and nice big brakes the dually has.. The deck is 37 feet long.

John

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, Once I went dually, I never went back. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I could not believe the difference it made.

11. chevyracing

Yep, different worl with a dually. Sandman, just out of curiosity if you do a bunch of towing with your dually what are you running for tires and how much mileage are you getting out of them.?????

I am running the Perelli Norsmans @ 80 psi and can't seems to get more than about 35 or 40 thousand miles out of a set.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'm still on the set of tires that were on the truck when I bought them. They need to be replaced but I have not done it yet. I dont drive the truck everyday. I drive a POS to work to save the wear and tear on it. I only put about 5,000 miles on it last year. I think any tire I get will crack from dryrot before they wear out. What I do know is this:

My first Moab trip I towed with a '98 Dodge heavy half extra cab 4x4 sport. Towed the blazer on th trailor and it pushed me around and I did not feel good at all going through Salt Lake City. Side winds damn near made me change lanes.

The next year I used the dually. Cruised through traffic, passed RV's in the wind and forgot it was back there half the time. I didnt really like the way they looked but now, I think they look just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif