Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gophers....Anyone got any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 90blzr, Apr 11, 2005.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Have TONS of gophers lately. Wondering what the best way is to get rid of them. Besides the traditional 'trap' or poison, doesnt seem to work to well, or fast enough :grin:

Anyone got any ideas?

Or no how to make one of these :cool1: for ALOT less than $1800?
    http://gophernator.com

Thanks!

2. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Don't have gophers but a lot of groundhogs. What works for me is my German shorthaired pointer, she loves to run them down and shake em til their necks snaps, or if the neighbors aren't home a well placed .22 :D

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

An LP tank and a grill ignitor? :dunno: :pimp:

Edit: I just looked at the system, and it appears to use an oxy-acetylene regulator and hoses to feed this beast and then ingnites it with a sparker dealy in it's tip. It honestly shouldn't be that hard to rig up something close to it.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

fill the holes with water and stand at the other end with a golf club.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you find two holes. Pour a good amount of gas in on, light a little fire at the other. Stand back and wait for fumes to do their thing.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Cats,
    when we had cats we had no gophers, but the mountian lions ate the cats and now we have gophers again

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

exactly. Cats arent gonna do good with the mountain lions, coyotes and bears. In fact a little terrier up the road has been 'missing' for about a month now. :crazy:

I was thinking about trying to rig something up. But I dont really wanna blow my self up :grin: And if I do, someone better have a damn camera ready :laugh:

Seriously though. Seems like its alot like building the potato gun. He says on that site that you use 3% propane and 97% oxygen.

Wonder how long you let the gases in the hole for?

Hmmm...just need a cart for the tanks, and ignitor and some regulators. What would you build the 'wand' from?

Come one, I KNOW someone on here has built one of these things :grin:

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The problem is finding the same two holes that connect. These bastards are everywhere.

Guess I could just fill them all with gas and see what happens. Could you imagine?!?!!? :laugh: KAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ranchers around here have always said that they go away if you water enough. I guess that makes sense. They all should know what the heck they are doing since good land is their livelyhood.

.22 works well and is a bunch of fun.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We had some when we first bought our home , little holes all over the over the yard .

Well since we got the dog , and she stays out all day , no more gophers .

I did have to smack her once to get her to drop something she was chewing cause it sounded like rocks or something ..... and out pops a gopher snout complete with flesh , nose , and teeth :D

We get an occasional coyote in the hood , but our yard is fenced , and shes a pretty big dog even if shes a little small for a Shepherd/husky .

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

My dog LOVES finding the gophers. The problem is that he digs in and tries to get them. No problem right? Well at 130lbs...by the time he gets his head down in there...the hole is kinda big :grin:

Its funny though, he'll come running up and his whole face is covered in dirt except for his eyes. Like he just got a mud pack or something :grin:

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Rattlesnake, they eat gophers.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

go to the local farm supply store and get the bigest gopher gas bombs and lots of them. thay look like 1/4 sticks. then take shovel and find hole and get soil ready , put bomb in lit with lighter and stuff it in as far as possible. cover hole and pack dirt down. go to next hole and repet till all done. it works we do it all the time on the farm. .

15. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Maybe you can get Gay Balfour from Dog-gone to come help you. His machine works on prairie dogs so it should work on gophers too.:grin:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] In a triumph of rodent-control technology, Gay Balfour has invented a machine that vacuums up prairie dogs. Called "Dog-Gone," this Rube Goldberg-like contraption was put together based upon details that he received in a dream. The machine is essentially a truck previously used for cleaning out sewer lines and manholes coupled with four-inch hoses from a local industrial supply store. The operation is simple: stick the working end of the hose down a chuck hole and fire up the vacuum cleaner. The furry little critters are sucked up at 300 mph, hurtle through the plastic hose, and shoot out like cannonballs into a foam rubber-lined tank on the back of the truck -- a little dazed at first, but scampering around almost immediately. Prairie dogs eat crops, damage irrigation systems, and their holes are a hazard to livestock and farm machinery. Depending on the job, Balfour relocates, exterminates, or sells the prairie dogs for pets. He has also shipped them as feed to federal breeding programs of endangered species such as the black-footed ferret which preys on prairie dogs for food.

DOG-GONE PRAIRIE DOG REMOVAL
    Judy Balfour
    1193 RD 26
    CORTEZ CO 81321.000
    Phone: 970-565-9878
    Fax: 970-565-2752
    Email: doggone@fone.net
    [/font]

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I got em too...

I have a family of those buck toothed varmints living in my shed!--they dug a huge hole under a wood pallet I have sheets of plywood stored on to keep it off the dirt floor--the little bastards put about a wheelbarrow full of dirt into the shed from the holes!!(and now a skunk has moved in there too!)--and we have 12 stray cats here,and they share the shed with them!--and we also have foxes and coyotes,but I guess woodchucks aren't on their menu! :mad:

I asked a few farmers what to do--one suggested a length of that rubber hose garages use to vent exhaust fumes out of the shop in cold weather--stick it in the hole,the other end on the tailpipe,and rev it up to 2500rpm for about 5 minites--that usually snuffs them out!--or use the "gopher bombs" as suggested earlier..best part is you dont have to bury them if there already in the ground... :crazy:

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ask this guy......................................
    [​IMG]

18. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Caddyshack!!!!!!!!! hahaha!! Thats the first thing I thought of when I found out I had them!!

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

save up your gallon jugs from milk, drinking water, whatever... fill with water... sit in back yard, and watch for them. when you see one go into a hole, run over to the hole with a gallon of water in each hand. place one over the hole, and let it drain. chances are that he'll come gurgling right up to the surface, which just happens to be inside your water jug. i used to do this for fun as a kid. i've caught up to 5 of them on a single gallon of water.

BTW, they like to play soccer once they're inside the jug. they'll let you know when they've had enough. they emit this red dye, and your jug will turn red.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  20. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Shepherd/Husky... going around 70lbs is she?