Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got 5 gs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cooker, Dec 23, 2001.

1. cooker

cooker Registered Member

i got a stock 88 k5 and 5 grand any one got some suggestions on what to spend it on

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, 5 grand? 1st thing I'd get is a D60 for the front, and a ff14b for the rear. Thatd prolly cost ya $1500-2500 once you had them geared and stuff. Then I'd add 4" lift springs up front, and do a ORD shackle flip out back. Toss on some tires/wheels (35-37s?)...do some fender trimming, and you are ready to wheel! =)

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second that... D60/14FF, a lift and some big meats.
    Well, what do you want to do...
    Is this going to be your beater or a restored beauty.
    I'd say stick a 6-71 Blower and some dual quads out of the hood too while you're at it. Okay maybe that's just what I'd do.

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

4. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

I would like to go get my raptor installed b4 feb., hint hint, wouldn't mind some new rubber either

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wow! I don't have 5k in my whole rig!
    Yeah if your planning on wheeling hard I'd go for the 1 ton running gear. ORD Flip, ORD Steering Brace, Figure out what size tires you want to run and lift accordinly.you can clear 36's with 4 inches of lift the ORD zero Rate rear spring and some serious cutting on the fenders. With 6 inches of lift less cutting. Then I would do the cross over steering to keep everything up front inline.
    First thing to do is Join CK5 and then you can get some discounts.
    Everything you could need I would check with Stephen Watson (#2 in 2001 Tough Truck in a K5) at communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. cooker

cooker Registered Member

thanx for the help sounds good where do i get the stuff and from who thanx again and happy new year everybody

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Where to go from here? Well, if I had 5k...I'd follow the for sale forum here on CK5 until a D60/ff14b axel pair came up for sale....but them.

Then I'd call Stephen Watson over at ORD (link already noted in previous messages) and tell him exactly what you have, and exactly what you want to do in your rig (ie, what kind of off-roading etc). He'll be able to help ya as much as anyone ever could. If you dont want to do the installation of lifts/axels and stuff yourself, post a message here or at a local off-roading clubs www site or mailing list to find a good reputable dealer/installer. That done, go talk to them and see what kind of $$$ they are gonna want, if its too much, shop around. Assuming you have the new axels and all the new parts, it shouldnt cost THAT much to get it installed, it is basically a swap.

ORD stuff I'd look for: the 4" shackle flip, HD front shackles, steering box brace kit and perhaps your springs also.

Whatever you do though, if you wanna wheel the rig...look into the D60/ff14b *first*. I spent lots of $$$ on my rig initially, and to this day wish I had done the 1-ton conversion before I did anything else. After you do that, its all down hill from there. =) That said, if you are gonna drive on the street all the time...skip the 1-ton axels and just worry about lifting to fit bigger tires. 1/2 ton axels will hold up just fine to even 38" meats if you never go offroad. ;)

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>