Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a 14bff NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

WHERE DO I START?!

Just picked up a 14bff. Its got 4.56 with detroit locker. Take a look at some pictures of it (http://community.webshots.com/album/228273072avMoPG), and let me know what you think of it... Is it crustier/rustier than other 14b you have seen? Anything stand out that needs attention??

I am going to be running 35's or 37's with my 305 motor. Will the 4.56 hold up running 37's for DD? (I want to use the 4.56 and re-gear in the future) Some people tell me NO, some tell me YES. I need a clear answer! :grin:

I am told to do a disc brake conversion. . Is there a cheap way to convert ? IS it difficult? Keep in mind that I am extremly "mechanically retarted"...

I need to clean up the axle, but am not sure when to clean it, before of after the brake conversion/re-gear????.. Whats the best way to clean it?

What order do I perform all of this work in?.. Any other work I need to perform on the Axle??

ANY AND ALL WRITE_UPS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :grin:

Thanks for your help, and thaks for reading.:saweet:

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

nice score :waytogo: looks alot cleaner than the 14b I got from the J/Y. do you know if it was out of an 3/4 or 1 ton? if it was out of an 1 ton your going to have to move the spring preches and shock mounts. if it wasn't then your fine. your going to need an conversion u joint I dont know the part number but I'm sure someone will chime in on that. I would get some engine degreaser or oven clean to clean it up and then paint it if you want. http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/ heres a good article for disk brake converstion. someone will chime in on the gearing.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

LOL, Put it in your truck and go wheeling....

It doesnt matter when you clean it, as long as you do it before you put it in your truck.

4:56's will be fine, Sure you can go lower, id go 5;13's just cuz its the lowest (for now) that you can go with the 14bolt. and im sure youll want bigger tires sometime in the future (they start looking small a few weeks after you get used to them)

The disc brake conversion isnt too expensive... if you do a search for it, im sure somone has written a step by step somewhere.

4. Silver84k5

If you have an auto parts store around you where the people actually have a brain (hard to find) then you can just tell them you need a half ton to 1 ton conversion ujoint for a chev pickup...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Napa

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Cool dude. That is a gov loc.

7. socal chevy

A gov-lock?...Why would you say that? I asked the guy when I bought it and he said it was not a gov lock. It was a detroit locker.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  8. socal chevy

not sure if its 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

napa u joint number is #447, that looks mint compared to my 14b :thumb:, also disk brakes are verry easy, get the brackets from somplace, i got mine from ebay, 3/4 ton front rotors and calipers, and brake hoses from a 70's chevette and your ready to go

10. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First off good score!

Well as far as the Ujoint is concerned, do you have a SM465 tranny(manual) or is it a auto. If its a manual there will be no conversion Ujoint needed its the same. I went through this problem with mine and come to find out if your truck came stock with a SM465 then it was the bigger Ujoint.

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I am not sure why he said it was a gov-lock either, from what I have read on here you have to pop the diff cover to check. I have posted a couple threads recently on how to id a 14 bolt detroit vs gov-lock carrier, I suggest you read those and look at the pics, then pop the diff cover on yours and see what you have. Previous owners are notorious for lying about things like that.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pull the diff cover and check if its gov lok or not, you cant rely on what a seller tells you, lol

did true detroit even exist in these ?

the last time a forum member posted that they bought a "detroit locker" and posted the pic of it it turned out to be a gov lok

so.......

good luck

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

4.56 + Detroit, 9 times out of 10, is from a CUCV.
    I asked about this already, and the general consensus was that the 14 bolt was not offered in civilian 14 bolts from the factory. I was wondering because I just bought a 4.10/Detroit 14 bolt, and the seller told me it was a factory locker. Its a Detroit, and it has 4.10's, so who knows.

14. socal chevy

15. Silver84k5

military truck.

16. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I just purchased the axle assemblies out of a 3/4 ton. 10b and 14bff, 4.10 gears. Anyway, I know I will need the conversion U-joint for the rear, but will I need a different driveshaft? I can still get the driveshaft from the truck I got the axles from, so if I do need the driveshaft or any other parts, please let me know so I can pick them up before the truck gets crushed! Thanks.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Its a gov loc. Heres a pic of mine wiht an open case and detroit inside. (Dont mind the yellow circles)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  18. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if it's from a cucv or a 1 ton you will have to relocate the spring perches.