Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a 203 w/ part-time kit and pto???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Jul 11, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Like the post says, I "inherited" a 203 tranfer case with a part-time kit and a pto installed. My question is what can/should I do with it. I've got an '86 K5 with a 305 (for now) and a 208. Is it worth the touble to swap the t-case out, or can I do something else with it. If it makes any difference, the 203 is a twin stick that can differentiate between 2 wheel hi/lo and 4 hi/lo. Thanks for the input.

John

2. SkulzNBonz

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 203 is stronger, but it doesn't have nearly as good a low range as the 208. You could use the 203 low range section in a Doubler install to get an even better low range, but then you'd need to find a 205 to put behind the 203. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif PTO's are cool, but not terribly practical unless you have a 4WD tow truck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Routing the shaft to a PTO winch can get pretty tricky if you have headers. I think I'd sell the PTO adapter and either do the Doubler or sell the 203. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get some pictures of the twin stick, I would like to see that. Not sure why somebody bothered to do it on a 203. If you prat time a 203 the stock shifter will do that as a result. With my front locker I'm always dropping out of 4 low back to two low so I can steer easier.
    I have a PTO for my 203. I think I'm going to run a real compressor head off it. My A/C just needs a clutch and it will work /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Does your PTO point front or back. I didn't even pay attention to the direction it pointed when I pulled it off a loose 203 in the junk yard. I'm hoping my points to the back. I'll just mount the compressor up under the bed and get it out of the way.

5. SkulzNBonz

Grim, my pto points toward the back, but the guy that gave it to me said it would easily convert to point either way. Yeah, I'm not real familiar with the 203, and didn't bother to ask him why he put a twin stick set up on it. I don't have real easy access to a digital camera or a scanner, but give me a week or two and I'll get you some pics.

Harry, I pretty much thought that a doubler set up would be the trick, now if I can hunt down a 205 I'll be in business.

Thank's y'all,
    John