Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a 6.5 Doner for my swap

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by earl87gta, Apr 22, 2005.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 87 6.2 diesel chevy with m1008 axles and a 6.5 put in by the dealer with less then 10,000 on the new engine. Now I have to get it in the 69 blazer. I may even get rid of the 700r4 and go to the stick from the doner. i already have 2 bateries in the 69 and a set of duel electric fans from vintage air. as soon as the frame is blasted and painted Ill start with the new fuel system and new brake lines transfer case new lift. swap over the axles hopefully make up my mind witch trans to use. Im going to paint the engine orange and try to make it look as stock as posible i was going to put a terbo on it but I think I will use the money for body work in stead. I have a hummer intake for it and Im watching for a set of humer headers so I can use them to make my own if needed for clearence issues. Does any one know a way to use a stock tack on a diesel I have a tack dash in the blazer and would like to keep it if i can make it work. if not I will put all new gages in the truck so they all match. Ill be driving the new truck back and forth to work untill it needs to be torn down so I will have faith in its reliability.

2. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

There is a write up on The Diesel Page about using an gas tachometer on a 6.2L diesel. The author used the vacuum pump off of a California diesel from the early '80s that included the Engine Speed Sensor. Then he fabricated an electrical circuit system that would convert the ESS signal to a 12 volt square wave that could be used with a gasoline automobile tachometer. The article is in the member's area so you have to join The Diesel Page to get access. However, the author did prove it's possible to use a gas tachometer for a diesel application on a 6.2/6.5. The down side is that the vacuum pump with the ESS is pricey as the cost is in excess of $100 last time I checked with some of the local auto parts stores.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe this would work??

I've sold some Delco-Remy altenators for big rigs that resemble a normal GM integral regulator one like they used on GM cars and trucks,they had a "Tach" connection to the slip rings in the altenator to send a signal to the tachometer--I dont know if it uses a special tachometer though...or if the bigger altenator would be useable on a 6.2--they were bigger than a normal GM car/truck version....wonder if you could "add" a tach connection to a normal GM altenator???.. :crazy:

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

your going to want to use a mechanical fan to cool the engine no electric fan set up pushes/pulls a fraction of enough air to cool the diesel. I' haven't done it yet but I plan on using a factory tach dash as well, just have to figure out how to do it, i have an ESS i plan on trying.

cheers, rugger

5. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Ive been told the altenator was the way to go but I cant find one with a tach conection. Im surprized the electric fans wont work you would think if they can cool a 454 the would the 6.5 but I guess they give off a lot more heat then the gasser.

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

not sure on the exact number but i seem to recall the diesel fan is about 10,000 CFM.

7. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

That some air flow ill have to look up mine.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the stock 6.2 mechanical fan?

9. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

yup, its right in that range.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's an awful lot of air...
    Gonna have to side-by-side compare the K5's fan to the fan on the C10 once I get it off. They look pretty similar so far...

11. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

The one I have is 2800 cfm.