Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a Dana 60!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Jun 6, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Well i picked up my D60 locally this weekend, paid $750 for it. There are a few things about it that seem kinda scetchy though. The guy I bought it from ran it for like 5 years in a 1ton that he had converted to 4wheel drive, but the guy he had bought it from he said cut and turned it for a better pinion angle, which is good but im affraid it wasnt done correctly. Reason I think this is it looks like they just removed the long side axle tube from the diff and turned it and welded it back in since there is a weld ran around where the tube meets the diff. I have some concerns about this since I would think the correct way to do it is to turn the inner c's? The other thing is the driver side spring perch is bent (must have been some nasty axle wrap!) I havent decided if I should just weld on a new perch or cut this one bang it back into position and then weld it back together? What would you guys suggest?

2. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can remove the tubes from the housing and turn them, or the easier way and in my eyes better due to weld penetration and not dealing with the plug welds is to remove the inner knuckles ( "C's" ) and weld them back on. if you do just the c's you have to also rotate the drivers side spring perch and shim the passenger side as well. when you shim the pass side you will also have to have tapered spring perches OR put another shim on top of the spring under the spring plate.

as for the spring perch being bent, i would get a new one. they shouldnt cost much at all and you only need one, so why mess with trying to straighten out the other one and having an ugly perch that may be "good enough" when you can have one that is PERFECT.

Grant