Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a decent list of questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I"ve got a couple of questions that have been stewing in my mind for the last couple of days.

1. How long does your elec fuel pump run after you kill the truck? Mine ranges from somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. This kinda goes with #1, starting my truck is a chore. It acts flooded every time I try and start it. When the truck is warmed, it's not too bad. I'm thinking that the TBI is leaking a little and not holding pressure (see #1 for pump running for two minutes) Any ideas.

3. How tough is it to replace the front pinion seal on a 14FF? Mines starting to leak more than it's usual (everything on my truck leaks, seeing a pattern /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

4. Rotating TSL Radials. My TSL have ALWAYS rode nice and quiet. I rotated them about two weeks ago swapping sides. Is it the fact that they are now turning opposite? They are now LOUD!!! No big deal or ????

5. I've also developed a MONSTER viabration at around 75 mph. This is really not that big a deal, I don't drive over 65 most of the time anyways, but when I need to go fast, it shake the truck apart bad. This isn't a front end deal, it's rearend. I've got ~5" of lift on the back of my truck and the case has been dropped 1" Didn't have a problem till two weeks ago when I ditched the 1" block and went with a 2" add-a-leaf. I'd ran this leaf before with no problems but had taken it out for testing. Now that it's back, it's ROUGH!

6. Replacing the tensioner pully on a serp setup. Mine squeels (Dueling banjo music here) when it's cold, not bad when it warms up, but in the morning I CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!

7. Anybody used something besides glass for a back window? I'd prefer something that doesn't scratch easy, but at this point, a roll of plastic sheeting may get the nod. My back window sometimes goes up, rarely goes down and generally is just a pain in the back (no pun intended) I'm tempted to call Speedglass and see if they can hook me up with a giant piece and make my own way to kepp it in, seperate from the tailgate.

I know this is a long list, but rather than have a half dozen posts, I thought I'd just combine them all.

If I think of any more that are bugging me, I'll add them

Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

KP

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Your TSL's are gonna be louder rolling the other way because they had wear patterns on them...not they are different so the tread blocks are "slapping" the pavement more. I wouldn't rotate them side to side, just front to back.
    Your vibration is probably driveline angles.
    My Jimmy used to have a pice of canvas w/ a window sewn in the middle of it (like on a boat top) and was held on w/ snaps around the top and across the top of the tailgate. Worked fine.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks

The TSL's, kinda what I figured. I decided to go side to side on this rotation, mainly due to the situation. The rearend was out of the truck and it was easy. I figure to rotate them again in a week and include my spare into the rotation.

The driveline vib is odd, since I've ran the setup I've got now before without it. May just go ahead and put new u-joints in it.

That'a a pretty good idea on the window, I'll look into that. It's really only a winter thing, I run a softop the rest of the time.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

#4) Don't rotate radials side to side. That's not just for Swampers. They will get loud if you do.
    #5) Check your u-bolts, they may have loosend. Also check your u-joints for grease & wear.
    #6) try some belt dressing, soap, or RTV on the belt.
    #7) Speedglass would be great if you want to keep the power window; or you can do like grim did and cut a sheet of plexi-glass that tucks into the grooves in the hard top, and screw a lip onto the bottom to keep it up. However if you do this you won't have easy access to the rear of the truck unless you have a gate that opens from the outside, either a custom one like grims or a P/U gate.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

'preciate the response.

#4 Guess I know now /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    #5 Everything is pretty tight, but I'm all for crawling under the truck again, it's kinda a sanctuary /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    #6 I dont think it's the belt, sounds more metalic
    #7 I forgot about Grims. I've planned on a pickup tailgate for years, I just gotta find one in decent enough shape and get the glass. Like I said, I run a softop most of the time, so...

Thanks again

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

3. The seal itself it pretty easy to replace, but getting the pinion nut off is a chore. It takes a ton of Ft/lbs of force to break it free. My 250 ft/lb impact couldn't budge it, but a friends 500 did the job.

6. I had the same squeal on very cold mornings. Put some graphite powder lubrication stuff on the bearing, and no more squeals.

7. I used plexiglass (cheap) and a pick up tailgate. I'm sure you could do the same and still use the blazer tailgate. If you don't want scratches, go for Lexan, but it is expensive.
    [​IMG]

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

How tight is the seal on the plexi to tailgate, and the talegate to the truck. I'm not worried about sealing it from the elements, I just hate rattles.

You've got the setup, that's what I'm after...

8. nofeartruckin00

I have 0 rattles (back there anyways, dash is a different story /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The window is very tight to the tailgate (the channel actually touches it when fully closed, and the tailgate is held solid to the body. Only problem i have is keeping -7 degree wind out, but you said thats not a problem for ya.

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's what I like to hear. I've got no problems with the wind etc. I don't have a heater so I'm rather adjusted to the balmy weather in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If it does get too cold, I'll steal the wifes Jeep or go crazy with self adhesive weather stripping /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. nofeartruckin00

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    or go crazy with self adhesive weather stripping

[/ QUOTE ] RTV keeps the rain out for me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the help so far guys,

Just need a little more help on #1 and #2 and maybe a little more experience on #3.

On #3, the seal is leaking around the bolts. BADLY. I thought it wwas a cover leak till I wheeled around to the front and saw it running down the pumpkin.

Thanks again.

KP

12. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

#1 My fuel pump never runs after I turn the truck off. If I turn the key on without starting the engine the fuel pump will run for two to three seconds.
    Try turning the key without starting the engine and check if the throttle plates get wet. If they do, then your injectors are leaking. This is a lot easier with someone else to turn the key so you can watch the injectors. Also, with the truck running you can look at the amount of fuel coming out of the injectors. I've heard that pointing a timing light at the spray will help a lot to see it, but I've never tried it.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

# 3 Bust off the pinion nut (a nice 1/2 " Ingersoll Rand gun will do the trick!) and the yoke should come off, pry out the seal, theres a special tool but you dont really need it. Put some assembly goo on the spring in the seal to keep it on when your putting it in, I usually use an old bearing race and tap the seal in. Slide the yoke on and put some grease on the back of the nut and locktite. Tighten it all the way down so the crush sleeve crushes, but not too tight. It's easier to know how tight it is when its all apart and the pinion will just spin. Hope that helps!

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Oh I fergot you had a ff.