Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a dilema

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Nov 13, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok well i think i am coming to realize that although a truck with a million inches of lift is cool to have and everyone turns there heads, it is not practical or very functional, let alone all the problems that come with it, right now i have custom front spring hangers, 8inch springs, zerorate, 8inch rear springs, 4inch block, zerorate, and shackle flip, 39.5x18x15 boggers, 44 with locker, 14bff w/ 4.56 gears, a peppy 400sbc and a sm465/208. i am wanting to turn this into a decent trail/mud truck on the cheap and keep the boggers. i dont wanna trim at all in the back and very little in the front if any. i also wanna do this on the very cheap if i can. what would you guys do in my situation?

the pick with the brown truck has 4" and 35s just to put it in perspective

the one with my brother he is 6' tall

k 008.jpg

k 027.jpg

k 016.jpg

k 028.jpg

k 020.jpg

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well IMO, it's just too high. If you want a flexy suspension, you gotta lose the 8" springs. I hope your front spring hangers are strong, but I don't think I'd want those on my truck. The shackles seem pretty excessive too, scary in my mind.

I also think its a little unrealistic that you want a wheelable rig on 44's without cutting the body. That's just something you've got to do if you want a suspension that's worth a darn along with big tires.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Trim the living **** out of the fenders... :whistle:

[​IMG]

4. bigbadchev84

can someone post up some pics of there rigs with 40+ inch tires that is a capable wheeler, i am done with the parking lot wheeling, as far as the front hangers go.....im not to sure about removing them even though im not fond of it now, when i built it i went way overkill and used 3x6"x1/4" rectangle tubing anf 1/2" plate it was welded everywhere i could, i wanted to make sure the frame would break before it did, so i think i am stuck with it

k 014.jpg

k 026.jpg

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Vehicle above has 4"-6" of lift (don't ask) and the front axle relocated 1.5" forward. Same tires as you do on 15x12's with 4.25" of backspacing. There is a VERY small amount of tire rub at full lock and full stuff. Never had it on a ramp so I don't have any numbers flex-wise but it didn't lift a tire all weekend. More "research" is to be done this coming Saturday.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

looks beefy but in my state and in my opinon not good to weld directly to the frame. and if it came in to the shop like that it would fail inspection. like thay say cut the fenders or get another beater to mod the heck out of it.

also by the looks of it in the pics you have put the hanger to far back to have any chance of no fire wall contact.

7. bigbadchev84

ok well what would be a good game plan for me to go with? as far as spring swaps go, what would be my best bet? i really dont wanna mess with the front spring hangers.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you've moved the front axle back considerably. enough that you notice it in the pictures. get the spring hangers off of there, run your 8" springs for a while, the 4" block and a shackle flip in the rear. zero rates if you have clearance issues with the firewall. see how you like that setup, i'd bet you'll like it much better with half the lift.

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i think i agree with beater_k20 the most. and fender trimming doesnt always have to be vicious and ugly, a lot of guys' rigs ive seen look extremely clean trimmed. then again i dont know how much you're going to have to do. i think it's DP_90K5 who had a very clean looking trim job and for some reason i think he had 39's or something close, not sure how i remember, but id look it up if i were you.. good luck