Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a few clutch ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by old clunker, Feb 14, 2006.

1. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

About 1.5 yrs ago when i started building the 78 long box i put in a 12x1/8x10 zoom clutch with the disk, plate,throwout bearing,input bearing from jegs. When i got the clutch kit the receipt said it was for a 88-95 with a 454. With this said is this clutch the same as one for a sm465 like i got ? This clutch feels good taking off in low but feels totally different in 2nd, the pedal releases towards the top. I have about 300 hp, 4.10's with 35's so 2nd gear starts are easy but why in low does it release in the middle compared to the top in 2nd? Any info would be great !!:D

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There's a lot more gear reduction in Low, so it doesn't take as much friction to get the truck moving as it does in 1st.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What transmission did you originaly buy this clutch for? I mean, a clutch for a Muncie 4-speed is not going to work on a SM465, and the like because the input shaft splines are different. But with that being said an SM465 is an SM465 reguardless of the engine it sits behind. The only differences between one clutch for an SM465 and another is the fly-wheel diameter. You have 12" fly-wheels and 11" fly-wheels for an SM465 (maybe 10", but I am not sure about that). The numbers you gave indicate your clutch is for a 12" fly-wheel.

4. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

The clutch was originally bought for the 465. When i recieved it the reciept said it was for a 88-95 truck with 454. The flywheel is for a 12" clutch. I just thought the throwout bearing or something may be different because 88-95 are hydraulic and i'm manual. Big orange is probably right, has anyone else used one of these Zoom clutches. Maybe my clutch is wearing out and need to get a Luk pro gold :D