Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a few dumb-a$$ ???'s

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mofugly13, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I recently installed a Cobra 29 plus in my GF's jeep. She got it from a friend of hers, no manual or anything. I got the antenna mounted and the SWR all dialed in, but I have a few questions. What is the 'dynamike' knob for? How about 'rf gain'. And on one knob there are four selections, s/rf, mod, cal, and swr. I know what they all are for except for 'mod'. What does that do? She also has a buttin that says 'NB', what's that one for?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

NB = noise blanker. Set the s/rf/mod/swr switch on s/rf. Turn dynomic and RF gain knobs too max (All the way up) The dynomic is just a input for the mic, if you have a power mic, you might want too adjust it. The RF knob controle your receive gain. Just turn them both all the way up.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The swr knob does nothing to actually adjust your swr. It is simply a meter to tell you what you swr is. The only way to adjust swr is to lengthen or shorten your antenna.

If I read your post wrong, then nevermind, carry on... :whistle:

4. mofugly13

I understand how to use the cal and swr selections to tune the antenna, I was curious as to what the 'mod' selection was. Also, how does the noise blanker differ from the automatic noise limiter? And why would I decide I might need to adjust the 'rf gain'?..or the dynamike? I don't just want to know what to set them at, I want to understand the hows & whys of the whole thing.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'll answer the ones I can.

The dynamike is what controls how loud your voice sounds to others when you are transmitting. If your dynamike is up higher, you will sound louder to those listening. By running it up as high as possible you have a better chance at being heard farther away.

The RF Gain is what controls the sensitivity of your receiver. The higher it is adjusted the farther you will hear. If you are trying to pull in a weak distant station you will need it turned up. If you are only interested in what is being said close to you, turn it down and you can filter out distant stations and only hear those close to you. Sometimes if someone is real close to you, like if you are wheeling together, you may have to turn it down some so the other radio does not blast your receive. I adjust mine as high as possible. The rf gain is different than the squelch control, it's difficult for me to explain.

I searched Google for a Cobra 29 Plus and couldn't find much, so I don't know what the "mod" selection could be. Maybe if you could post a pic.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mod would be for the meter too read your modulation. Just too see the meter swing when you talk. Kind of like a tripple meters set up. RF power out put, Modulation, and SWR.[​IMG]

7. mofugly13

Ahh, thanks, fellas.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You're welcome. Hopefully all your questions have been answered.