Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a few header/exhaust routing ???'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Mar 31, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Got a few header/exhaust routing ???\'s

I'm gettimg a little chunk of $$$ back from uncle sam this year so I think I'm gonna finally redo my entire exhaust. Right now it's got ram horn manifolds on the 327. The passenger side has a 1/4" size hole in the top that it looks like the PO tried to weld shut, and failed. It's got a little booger of weld, but it's still got a hole. Right on either side of the transfer case yoke there are two cherry bomb turbo mufflers. They have some LARGE holes and dents from where it looks like the driveshaft broke and the xfer case end proceeded spin like a blender and turn both mufflers into swiss cheese. From the mufflers it goes straight back and exits about 4" behind the bumper with some crappy chrome turned-down tips on it. (The lady who rearended me in her Lexus didn't appreciate the perfectly round holes it punched in her hood!) It's all welded and whoever did it didn't have the heat high enough so all the welds are boogery as all hell. Whenever I'm underneath my Blazer I cringe at the chunged up job the PO did. So, this brings me to my questions. Will any headers for a 73-91 truck/Blazer fit in my ride. I like the Hooker Competition shorty headers, and I also like the Edelbrock shortys. Well, I like the look of shortys in general but '73 blazer is usually not included in the applications for the headers I like. But since I am going to have the pipe redone too, i'm thinking that almost any header for a 73-91 chevy will fit, is this right? Also, why run an H-pipe or an X-pipe instead of true duals? I want to run a single 50 series flowmaster and was looking at a dual in/ single out OR I saw they have a dual in/ dual out. I dont want to run two mufflers 'cause Flowmasters are expensive and I've got a few more pressing items to take care of that will require a nice chunk of change. What are the pro's and con's of a single muffler setup? Also what size pipe should I use coming off the headers? What size after the muffler? I scored a sweet ass 10' stick of stainless tubing at work and envisioned a stainless exhaust, but it's only 2" dia. The fitters have some 3" tubing also, but at $250 a stick I don't think I'll be able to get one of those. (scoring the 2" was a stroke of luck!!) I plan on dumping the exhaust right in front of the rear axle. I'm looking for some input from those of you out there who know. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks fellas.
    Semper Fi. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Re: Got a few header/exhaust routing ???\'s

Anyone????

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

i think that 2 inch pipe is to small.
    an H pipe or crossover helps equalize the pressure on both sides, but I don't like them in a 4x4 because you have to set them up to far back due to transfer cases, crossmembers, etc.
    i like the shorty's better because there is more room around such things as say the oil filter, and starter.
    if you don't drive it that much, then stick with a single 2 1/2 inch - it will last longer than duals because it will make enough heat to burn out the moisture. Edelbrocks T.E.S.series also comes with a 'y' pipe making installation much easier too. if you are going duals, then stay away from the 2 in 2 out and stay with true duals.

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

you might want to check but in texas you can't dump the exhust after the axle you have to take it to the rear of the vechile and not straight out the back has to go to the sides. FYI /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am running dual 40 series Flowmasters, my pipes are true duals. They run straight from the header back just inside the fram and dump down right in front of the axle. I am not running an H-pipe. I haven't measured mine, but I think I am running 2 1/2" pipe. My mufflers are at the end of my pipes with turn downs pointed down and out towards the side.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Really? I have passed two state inspections with my set up. YOu can just see the end of the Flowmaster, and it dumps just before it gets to the axle. Never heard of not being able to go straight out the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    [​IMG]