Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a few projects, gonna be a busy week....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Oct 7, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, I`m finally gonna get out there and get some stuff done. So here`s what i plan on doing this week, hopefully things go as planned. Got 2 days off this week from school, so i`ll have a few free days to work on the truck.

1. start and finish 1/2 top conversion
    2. get grill guard on truck when it comes in the 11th
    3. rebuild and swap spare front axle in

wish me luck, will post as i progress.....

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Good luck, lol.

There for awhile I had projects on my Blazer everyday, they were small stuff, but none the less. Its never ending. Ive still got a few more to work on.

3. NEK5

Tell me about it....I`ve got a few more, but those are for a "later" date, tranny stuff, etc...

4. NEK5

what a crazy weekend....well here`s how it started....each one took about 3 hours, before we left we had to do brakes on the rig we borrowed to tow, had some abs problems, so that got unplugged...fun stuff

Picture 271.jpg

Picture 279.jpg

Picture 287.jpg

5. NEK5

then we go all the way back down to drop the truck off in MA, and take my buddys dads car back to NH, we get there, and realize we didnt have the keys....so back we went in the truck, got to NH at about 330AM, woke up at 6, drove back to MA to get car...went back to NH, starting tearing apart front end, unfortunately, all we got to do was rebuild it, so they`ll work on it during the week...i learned how to take a hub apart too, pretty easy....

for the front end we put in Moogs all around, precision greasables (u joints that were in there were shot to ****), and today i had to buy an inner wheel bearing/race, and 2 bearing seals....man i cant wait to get that done....

for the 1/2 top...everythings pretty much made up, just half to: 1) take top off and remove and reuse the weather stripping(cut to fit), 2) find some type of strip to go along bottom and side of wall, 3)get new bolts, 4) install and seal

the grill guard came in on Friday, and by that time the truck was already in NH, so that will go in next week....any idea what color i should paint it?

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well it looks like you've been busy...

also always know that is always takes at least 1/3 moretime to do something than you've planed for, no matter what it is you are doing.

7. NEK5

yep, cant wait to get it all done.....gonna have to get a group together to go wheelin soon

8. NEK5

well, some more progress on the front end....ended up going to NH after school (here now) and will spend the night, go back to school in MA tomorrow then back to NH after school....got my rotors turned for free, which was pretty good....today we did as follows: unbolted calipers(keeping the current ones), then unbolted the shocks, driveshaft, ubolts, then pulled the axle out...then we got the other one in place, jacked it up and got it all bolted up..then we finished putting the spindle on pass side back together....so tomorrow we`ll: repack wheel bearings, put rotors on, locking hubs from old axle(warn premiums) then re-tighten everything, and take her for a spin, and retighten again....fun fun

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

is that a '64 or '65 ElCam? i had a '65 for a while.

10. NEK5

the elky`s a 64

11. NEK5

Well, I`m on my way back to mass in a few, with my truck, if that tells you anything:doah: :D

12. NEK5

ok, a few updates...

cap - none for now
    axle swap - DONE!!!
    grille guard - well we`ll see how that goes tomorrow morning

some things we noticed on my front end (the one we took out), you can grab the top and bottom of rotor, and push it in and it will move in and out maybe ~1/4in????any ideas?
    and when we took apart the drivers side hub, as soon as we pulled the little screw out, then the piece thats infront of the spring, the little c clip came out with it, and it was bent like at the opening????any ideas?

13. NEK5

14. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

bad wheel bearing.

15. NEK5

ok, i`ll have to check it out when i take it apart, the axle i put in had a bad inner wheel bearing, so i replaced that one