Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a new camper.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well My Father-in-law passed. My Wife and her three brothers were dividing the estate. Some banks accounts, 95 Olds that one brother wil take, 94 Ford Conversion Van with 97k on it that the another brother is taking. The one brother was left a IRA to deal with his remaining bills and to keep the rest. Two campers were also part of the estate. One we don't even know where it is nor has anybody seen this thing so we don't know what it is. Her Fater was telling me about it and it's a beater he use on his hunting lease. It's on some hunting property in south GA (that he also owns part of and will sell off his part).
    The other camper is a Airstream trailer that has been in their family for a long time. I use to camp with my folks a LOT when I was a kid and it's something I would like to do with my two kid. My family had a tent trailer we dragged all over the place about 4 weeks a year. My mom sold it when I was 16 (still mad about it because it was nice and compact and easy to pull). Went to Colorado a lot. So when I heard about this camper I told my wife that might be fun and we could do some cross country camping a couple times a year. She had no interest in the car and van.
    Now get this...the Airstream is a 1958 22ft (they rate tip of tounge to bumper as the length so inside is more like 17ft and to put the size into perspective my 10x5 utility trailer is only 7ft shorter) according to her brothers. I been reseaching this with a couple pictures my wife dug up and I think it's a 59 (Wheel wells help identify the year and 58's never had the wheel wells but 59 did). Anyway Airstreams last forever if taken care of and this one has been taken care of. Super light too, unloaded this thing is about 2500lb. So originally I was trying to help put a dollar value on this thing and got interested in it and there is an unbellievable following for theses especialy old ones like this. My Father-in-law has used the thing frequently so this thing is supose to be in good shape (should be pulling it back to my place in the next couple day's but I have never seen it). The last 10 years it has not been on the road but was used many times a year. Deal is he has a year round membership at a campground. He calls them and they move it from a storage lot to a camping space. So I need to go put some tires on it but otherwise good shape.

Well Here is one VERY simular to this one on Ebay. NOW this guy keeps relisting this thing and I found a Ad on a Airstream website for this camper and last go around it hit $10.3k and he wants $10.5k
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2159533061
    The one my wife inherited is the same size but a little different iinterrior and 1 model lower ( smaller bathroom and different fridge and depends on outside water for the internal systems to work so I will need to install a tank and pump but no big deal). Sleeps three but I have read how to easily make it sleep 4. So that's our new 42-43 year old camper.
    [​IMG]

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My condolences go out ot you and your family.

On the bright side. That campers sounds like a great one. You'll have to post some pics of it once you get it home.

John

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You don't by chance drink Coors do ya? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks good Grim. I just bought a camper this winter too. My K5 is not a friendly tow vehicle so we are thinking about buying something to tow the Camper with.

Lets go RV'n!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now you can look forward to acting like Dennis Quaid and saying the following remarks:

"Shitter's Full" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

"This here's an Rrrrr Veee"

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Congrads! I spent a lot of time camping in everything from grass lean-to's (scouts) to pup tents to tent trailers to travel trailers to luxury diesel-pusher motorhomes as a kid.

My new family and I have spent quite a bit of time tent camping recently as I wanted to show them the real outdoors, the outdoors without parking lots and video games. Last year we got a pop-up camper and have explored more. We have rented a motorhome a couple of times for cross-country adventures. It is a real break from the hectic world these days. But even the parks have changed a lot since when I was a kid (which wasn't all that long ago).

Here is a pic of our setup...
    [​IMG]

5. Grim-Reaper

Yeah my wifes 79 K5 would be fine towing this thing but we just sold it. My 75 is not going to hack it as it sits because the hitch is too high. I have been seriously thinking about dtiching my Supra anyway so I'm going to look at a truck. Myabe a Burb. There is a 91 3/4 ton for sale for $4k near me. Paint is shot but the rest is supose to be in good shape. With the FI should get 18 on the hwy and I could live with that for work . Wanted to get my wife the burb (she's a stay at home mom so MPG not important we filled the 79 about once a month) but she wants a car because of the kids and loading the baby into a car seat (79 is too high and the kid is getting heavier) I have her a car scoped out but waiting on the guy to send me the money on the 79. TAX return arived today /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so I might go look at this burb and put the Supra up for sale.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You mean COORS LIGHT..........." In Golden Colorado where the goats piss clear it runs down the mountain and they call it COORS BEER " I love Coors and Coors Light That's a nice camper I like those old " Airstreams" /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father-inlaw. Airstreams are nice. There was a big Airstream show up here last summer. Those are nice campers. I'd like to have one myself. Could you imanage the same size lift and tires on it as on your rig ??? Be campin' in style. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

First thought- Sorry about your father in law
    Second thought- Oh man, a toaster on wheels, sweet!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy - It's a classic!!!! Lucy and Desi in "The Long, Long Trailer" made them a fad and now a hot collector's item.

Great trailer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh man, a toaster on wheels

[/ QUOTE ]
    Toaster LOL I like it hahahah I may just have to name it that. My mom still has one of those old toasters in the basement that works. I may have to put it in the trailer LOL.

11. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear about yer father in law /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    those airstreams are awesome. we have one at our huntin lease so we use it alot and love it. we would have a heater but the cows chewed on the lines for it. but those are awesome trailers. i love mine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

jacob

12. Grim-Reaper

tx85gmcguy:
    What kind of ttrouble you run into pulling that pop up with the lifted K5? I have dragged a car home before on a dolly and the weight wasn't a big deal. Heck my truck is already set up with a trailer brake that I just need to do some wiring on and it's a old style tied into the master so i it will vary with the amount of brakes I'm using unlike the electric ones.
    My guess is your pop up is about 3500lb and 16-18 ft from ball to rear. Well the AIrstream is 22ft ball to bumper and about 3500lb with gear so pretty comprable. problem is the Stream is set up for a weigh distribution hitch so I'm going to have a hight problem using that. My hitch is unusualy high because the draw bar is turned upsidedown. The reciever is on top of the cross bar for clearence. putting the cross bab back the way it belongs would drop it by 4 inches but I would lose about 5 inches of clearence doing that.

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The pop-up is 21 ft ball to bumper and comes in right at 3500. The 700 tranny has issues at times and it can be quite squirly. The trailer brakes are a must to help control it when it wants to move around with such a short wheelbase. My rear locker adds to the excitement as well due to the shimmy it gives the front wheels at accel and deceleration.

All in all it isn't bad. We'll have to see how it does with the new 42s! I have 2 trips planned with it before I get the new tow rig. Hope the 700 will hold out that long. The 450 ft lb torque 383 should help!

14. Grim-Reaper

wow almost identical wight and length.. Yeah I am familure with the "Detroit shimmy". Are you using a weight distributing hitch?
    See my big problem is this trailer needs a max 18.5 tounge hight. The blackwater drain is at the rear so I have to get it down to that hight. As much side area as this thing has I want to run a sway control for sure and I doubt I'm going to find a a 10 inch drop weight distributing hitch LOL.
    Keith rigged up a deal wher he buiilt a drop attachemnt with a reciever in it. I'm not sure I like that but I do want to pull this with the K5 for some of our long weekend rides where we stay at campgrounds.

15. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bring it up to Tellico end of Apr.Make a good try out run. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gotta fix brakes on mine so it can be used more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Or find a toaster that doesn't work, and make it into a hitch plug when your not towing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Grim-Reaper

Well I wish it would be ready by then but some how I doubt it will be ready for the road. I got it home yesterday. For it's age it's not in bad shape but The floor under the batroom is shot and I'll need to replace that so the crapper doesn't fall though the floor LOL. I have some electrical work to do as well. It's got 42 year old wiring and it's not up to even 40 year old code. I need to swap some stuff out and do a little rewiring and I want to put some GFIC stuff in it an a up todate circuit breaker pannel. Here is some Pictures

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It looks better that you described it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Grim-Reaper

Yeah It looks ok but till I get the Bathroom up and take the belly pans off the jury is out. If it's real bad you strip the interrior drill out all the rivits where the top meets the belly pan and you get 4 strong guys and lift the top off the frame so you can replace the Plywood floor.
    THe thing is stacked Frame, Insulation, Plywood deck, U channle toggle bolted to wood deck, body rivited to U-Channel. You can get away with replacing a small area and work it under the u-channel but if you have a lot of rot it's easier and better results to take it appart.
    Hmmmmmm Kerry's lift would make it a breeze. I bet I could strip the interrior pull it up to his place drill out the rivits redeck and put the shell back on in a long day as long as I didn't find any frame problems. Jeep project might have a nice $500 donation and it honestly would be worth it LOL.