Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a new motor, now what to

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Feb 15, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

now what to do with the old one? it had a bearing faliure and now knocks. i am thinking re build it completely into a 383 and stuff a turbo on it. any suggestions?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have fun with custom header fab, turbo lag, and tuning. aka the turbo isn't worth it. Other than that you really need to know how much its gonna cost you. For a stock block 350 you may have to get your block machined for the 383 crank. Stroker kits cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 800+ and you may need or want to bore out your cylinders. Actually for a 383 just the crank isn't enough you need to bore it 30 over to actually get a 383. I'm not trying to scare you off of this or anything but more than once I have gone a things half cocked and discovered they would cost and be a lot more work than I could handle. What would you do with this 383 then? Put it back in the K5? Do an engine swap to rebuild then swap again? Believe me swaps aren't 2 hour fun fun fun projects. I just got back in from the garage where i am pulling everything off my 350 I just put in my K5 3 weeks ago. The new engine is at the machinist now getting bored out and rebuilt. Almost forgot 383s are lower RPM engines and Turbos are more effective at higher RPMs so its not the best combo. Almost forgot again you would need forged pistons, crank, and rods and these aren't standard in a base 383 kit. Aka more money there. Also you would need a custom blow through box for the carb and that isn't cheap.You can't just duct some pipes to the top of your carb and force air in that way.

3. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

If you have the know how and/or ambition for a turbo setup do it, amazing power potential and more streetability then a similarly performing naturally asperated motor. There is no reason a turbo can not perform at low RPM, look at diesls they make lots of boost at idle, yes I know this can be partially attriputed to the higher CR but is a good example of turbo matched to motor/driving needs. A turbo small block K-5 would be a hell of a sleeper!

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a turbo setup, lurking in my basement waiting to go on a small block. i have the cast factory manifold, the cross over pipe, the turbo and the adjustable waste gate, o an the high pressure holley. i am just currious as to whats out there for a turbo following.

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

the blow through box is actually not neccesary. you'll find that most SBC turbo kits involve an intake manifold that has an inlet just fot the turbo to feed through, seperate from the carb flange.

-Scott