Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a new printer... WOW.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my old Lexmark Z52 died about 6 months ago so I decided to get a new printer. After reading some comparison tests in a PC mag, I went with the Canon PIXMA iP4000. This thing rocks... unlike the Lexmark its heavy and feels like its made of quality stuff. Its a 5 ink system with 2 blacks, which really helps with photos. In the mag I read, it printed boarderless 4x6 and 8x10 photos faster than ANY other printer that cost less than $500 (the only printer at any price that was faster in the test was also made by Canon... the ip9000). Whatsmore, using factory inks its the cheapest photo printer (tested price per page) available. I set her up last night and printed a couple of 4x6s from my recent honeymoon and they came out freaking awesome. Every bit as good as a photolab and traditional 35mm camera. I really like the Canon "photo paper pro" type paper, the printer comes with 5 sheets of it to try out. I plan on using this printer just for graphics and photos and picking up a used laserjet to print any text junk I wanna print (cheaper in the long run if you print lots of pages of text).

[​IMG]

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a very good photo printer, I highly recommend the ip4000 ($129 street) or if you're a bit more of a cheapskate the ip3000 ($89 street) which is almost as fast, but uses only a 4 color ink system and is therefore a small notch down in photo printing capability.

j

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

thanks for the info. by the way, are those slots on the front for the disk out of the cameras?

also, congrats on the marriage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it's what you make it, trust me.

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Nice tip. Looks like it beats the hell out of my old hp722c... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hehe yea I bought a canon i9900 last semester to build my portfolio with, like it, kind of expensive if you try to use it daily,

my opinion, the vivid colors are good but black and white the epson is a little better. but at the time I was looking for the better deal and the canon was a little cheaper for the wide carriage.

hey jekbrown did you get a chance to check out my site?

5. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks for the info. by the way, are those slots on the front for the disk out of the cameras?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, no mem card slot... it does have a port that allows you to attach compatible digital still and video cameras though. I never use those things personally, I always wanna mess with cropping, contrast, brightness etc etc in photoshop and then print from there. To each their own though. There are other higher-end Canons that go so far as to have a little LCD screen so you can print direct from mem card, complete with cropping/rotating/red-eye removal etc etc. Not worth the cost to me personally.

[ QUOTE ]
    also, congrats on the marriage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it's what you make it, trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I think its gonna be a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    hey jekbrown did you get a chance to check out my site?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, been really busy this last week... gettin married and all... I'll get to it pronto tho, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j