Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a new problem, K5 won't idle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 23, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

got a new problem, K5 won\'t idle

OK, there is the following that I did today, and I am wondering if it could have caused my current problem.

ever since I got this K5 is has really been lacking in the power department. (granted I'm sure I'm at least 5000' higher then this thing was tuned at) I went to do a tune up and discovered it had a new cap, wires, and plugs (oh and a MDS blaster coil). I added a MSD 6a box.

The thing was running a LOT better, and then I did the following (tranny and oil), and now the thing won't idle. It was lacking a LOT more in power until I changed the fuel filter (which was rusted up something fierce).

I serviced the 700r4 in my new K5. (when I was draining it the tranny fluid seemed more of a rust color then the normal red, and it also almost smelled rancid) when I serviced it I drained it and changed the filter. then I added 6 quarts of ATF. this is one place I have a question. when I check the fluid level with the thing on and hot it only showes on half the dip stick. usually when I check oil or tranny it is solid on the stick. it is solid on half of the stick up past the full when hot line, but it never shows across the entire dip stick. is this normal??? I don't remembers tranny's doing this.

I know there is a torque converter that sets the idle, and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the problem.

I changed the fuel filter, and the filter was rusted up very badly. I'm also wondering if the cat. may be really clogged. How would I find out???

I also changed the oil and filter. I added mobil 1 synthic and lucas. (I'm not thinking this caused any problems).

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: got a new problem, K5 won\'t idle

This may sound really stupid, but did you install the fuel filter properly? Some fuel filters are designed to flow the gas through in one direction only. If you reverse it, your flow is cut down dramatically.

Other things to check would be your injector spray pattern(you may have loosened some crud in your fuel lines when you did your filter and it ended up plugging your injector) or your oxygen sensor.

A plugged catalytic convertor generally causes performance problems when driving as well. Other than the idle, how does the truck run?

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I also think you might have had sumthin come loose and go towards the injectors if the filter is OK. You didn't bang on the O2 sensor while underneath right? they are kinda sensitive.&gt; Like a PMS'n Woman on a full moon on Friday the 13th!

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even if you removed the O2 sensor, it should run just fine, but it will run in open loop.

Sure no vacuum leak? I think you've got a vacuum leak if it won't idle.

I suggest that you also FLUSH your tranny. Dropping the pan is okay, but if it's really nasty, you've got to flush it.

I personally also think you've got too much fluid in your pan. The pan only holds 4.5 quarts.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. solowookie

I went out and double checked the direction, and the direction was correct.

now you really got me wondering about the injectors possibly being dirty. I'm taking this thing to the dealer in the morning (when I got it the heater core had been replaced, but all the ducts were not bolted down and none of the ac / heater controls were connected) so the can set all this stuff up. I think I'll have them check it out while it is in there.

the thing goes down the road OK it just won't idle. It doesn't feel any more gutless then it has been (but it has been real gutless since I got it) since I changed the fuel filter.

I'm in the process of selling my car, and as soon as it is sold this thing is going to be getting vortec heads with a new cam and a TBI from turbo city with a custom chip.

I also just order a gibson catback and K&amp;N extreme top with filter. that with the MDS box should give this thing a good kick in the pants, and still give me decent gas milage.

that with all the ac stuff fixed should make this thing real road worthy.

should I be concerned about the tranny fluid being rancid (actually I'm assuming it is probably burnt)???

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

YES YOU SHOULD BE EXTREMELY WORRIED ABOUT NASTY TRANNY FLUID. AS I SAID ABOVE, GET THAT THING FLUSHED WITH ALL NEW FLUID!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. solowookie

hey, you snuck your post in while I was writing mine so I didn't see it.

so exactly how do you 'flush' the tranny??? and where would I look for a vacum line problem??? I already pulled the air filter off and check all of those connecting to the map sensor etc...

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"this thing is going to be getting vortec heads with a new cam and a TBI from turbo city with a custom chip"

Considering all the rust on this thing and the new high $$ engine parts, I would consider pulling the tank and checking for rust. Maybe look into new fule lines also....?

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

9. solowookie

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Considering all the rust on this thing and the new high $$ engine parts, I would consider pulling the tank and checking for rust. Maybe look into new fule lines also....?

<hr></blockquote>

Dave I gotta tell ya the thought of all that just sent shudders up and down my spine! [​IMG] that is not a very appealling thought! I'm gonna have to check it out.

when I was looking at the lines tonight I didn't see any surface rust on them. I don't know what the inside of the lines look like, or the fuel tank. anyone got any good ideas on how to check this??? [​IMG]

10. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

it may not be the safest, but you can disconnect the fuel line at tbi and let it pump some fuel into a container and you can then inspect what is coming out
    sounds ugly to me
    i will stick with my sloppy steering problem
    "GOOD" luck

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did the previous owner let it sit for long periods? And where did it come from?

If you are storing/parking for long stretches make sure that the tank is topped off.

If you pull the tank you can probabaly feel for rust (but if I remember, you are a big dude so you prolly can't fit your mitts in the pump/sending unit hole :) ) Have one of the chillins do it with surgical gloves on. (make sure they put out there smokes - er, no, that would be my redneck family HA)

I dont know if fuel line can rust... But it probably is not hard or too expensive when you have the tank out.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeff...
    First thing I would do is retrace your steps... makes sure your plug wires are correct and make sure you didn't acidently leave something disconnected. Next thing I would do is disconnect the fuel line at the TBI unit and have someone turn the key to on while you hole a cup under it... it should flow out pretty decent for a couple seconds and then you can see if the filter got plug again or if the stuff is all cruddy. If that seems to check out the put it back on and have some one start it while attempting to keep it idle-ing... look at the injectors shot... both should look the same and be rather wide at the bottom. It should liook like a spray and not a drip... next turn off the truck and and turn the key on to ingage the fuel pump... see if one of the injectors are leaking at all..

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Look through your MSD 6A directions again. I got bored one night and read it cover to cover a few weeks ago, just so I'd be prepared to install mine. I seem to remember a bunch of troubleshooting help here and there about possible problems after the install of an MSD box. See if thats the problem.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. solowookie

ok, heres and update...

I got frustrated with it last night so I went to bed and said the h*ll with it. anyway when I took it to the dealer to get the ac / heater stuff hooked up (and the tranny flushed) they told me my egr (I think thats the name) valve was sticking. he fixed it, and it ran much better. it was also timing was WAY off!

by the time I got home it was not idling again so I order a new valve.

&lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif"&gt; he said for this altitude it should be like 0 deg. and it was at 26 deg. (for 7000 feet).

from everybody else I have talked to they say 0 deg. is wrong, and that it should be about 4 for factory, and advanced to about 11 deg. to account for the climate. anyone???

[​IMG]<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

15. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Should be 0 deg. Make sure to disconnect brown wire behind the brake booster.

16. solowookie

whats the brown wire behind the brake booster???

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Brown wire is the computer(ecm) connection to the dist. If you try to time it with that connected, the computer will constantly counter your timing, and you can spend hours without ever getting it right...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

18. solowookie

awe, then I'd assume that little brown wire is pretty important to know about... [​IMG]

19. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Should the wire be disconnected prior to starting the truck or after when checking the timing?

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

disconnect before startup, reconnect with truck off, to prevent damage to the ECM.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**