Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a new radiator- but now the hose wont fit- WTF is going on?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, May 21, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Picked up my new radiator today- 6 tries for the damn parts guy to get the correct one- 17" instead of the 19" he keeps getting...and a triple core instead of the single ...long story short.
    Needed a radiator to get it home, (I thought)..so we bought the one off the shelf for a 86 305..went with the manual, no a/c.. it fit, right height/length. BUT the top hole, where the hose for the snorkle goes.. way to small. Okay I need to get the damn thing home, so we put the old one in and hope it makes it..along with 4 gallons of water in the truck. Get home, bring back the single- which is the one off the shelf. Tell them I want a triple core...he takes mine in exchange, first 5 are either 19 inch- or are singles.... today- this is 4 days into this radiator issue, he tells me its in, I go down, get it, bring it home, look it over a bit, make sure there are no chunks missing etc... looks fine, leave it in the trunk of my car. John gets home- says- the hose is going to be too big, you need a new snorkle...I didnt want to have to do this DAMN IT....why is the opening the wrong size. I went with the 305-A/C- A/T this time, to get the 3 core...but now I find the darn opening screwed up again.

So I need a snorkle- how much $$$$$ am I looking? And why is the one thats in my truck a different size? UUGGHHHHHHH I just want it done!

thanks
    Brandy

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm....Snorkel...Do you mean the over flow thingy or??? Not really sure what ya mean. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

sorry, by snorkle what I mean is where the thermostat is- it looks quite a bit like a snorkle, thats what they call them up in this neck of the woods...

sorry!
    Brandy

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Brandy, the thermostat installs at the engine end of the top radiator hose. The thermostat housing bolts to the engine. But it isn't part of the radiator. Is the hose fitting at the radiator end the part that is the wrong size?

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay you guys call it a thermostat housing- I call it a snorkle.

its the OTHER end, the top hole in the radiator. The bottom hose fit fine, the top is the one with a problem. I just can't figure out why what looks to be the original radiator- (horrid condition), would work, then I get a new one, and it doesnt work.

The parts guy this morning got me a hose thats bigger on one end and smaller on the other, but he couldn't answer why the different size. The damn hose was $13.00...UUGGHH

Brandy

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I was gonna suggest next that perhaps you now have the correct radiator but the wrong hose. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, there are a couple different hoses, with a "flare" at the radiator end. Some newer radiators come with a fitting that is necked down, so either hose will fit, sounds like you just need a different hose.

I'd bet SOME GM truck part listing is right for that hose.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The snorkle is that big azz plastic hose that goes from the from the air cleaner assembly to the firewall, that's what i thought you were talkin' about and I was confused as hell! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif