Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a newer class 3 hitch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Sep 16, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

now i got rid of my old rusty one, but kept the pin for use of my tow strap if i have to strap it to the back of my truck, but now is my question what does everyone think of that hook that slides into the receiver hitch? i think its kinda cool, or does warns shackle setup better for my hitch? opinoins please. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have seen the warn shackle setup and looked it over well and thats one stout setup. I have been tryign to locate one locally or on the boards myself for sometime now. If it were me. I'd go Warn all the way. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Clevis shackle is way better than a hook.

Rene

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The clevis is WAY stronger. It's supported at both sides, where as the hook is on attached on one side. The hitch hooks that I've seen look like they use the $5 cheapies you can buy that are only rated at 10,000 lbs or so. I gotta wonder what would happen to one when you start yanking on it using a 30,000 lb rated tow strap? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

But you've already got the right idea if you only use straps. I've been sticking the end of my straps into the hitch and then slipping the hitch pin through the eye for years. I works great. But if you use a chain, then you'll need a clevis to loop it through.

5. 87sm465np208

thanks for the info, i think i might look into the 35$ shackle setup from warn and a new pin because mine is rusted kinda bad, but yeai see how the clevis way is better, but the hitch pin is also cheaper /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. but thanks everybody for the info. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 87sm465np208

has anyone ever bent a pin in a reses hitch by useing the pin method with the tow strap?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont see how those things could bend, i mean weve pulled our 14,000lb travel trailer outta mud before, and they wouldnt be approved if they could break and send a big @ssed camper flyin down the highway. Theyre rated to like 50,000lb or something aint they?, least i saw one awhile ago that was that strong.

8. 87sm465np208

alright, well if i ever do bend one, i wiill laugh for quite some time, and then stare at it, and then let everyone here know i did it, so you can all laugh with me.

9. 87sm465np208

i seen them 12$ black tow hook kits you can buy from j\c whitney, and i seen them on the "pack it up" article bolted to the guys recever hitch, and it looked like they were used well too. is this a good idea, did you guys ever weld\ or bolt anything to your recever hitches, if so let me know, i sure would appreciate it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif