Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a nice cut on my sidewall

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jishory, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

on the side of one of my 37' ssr's i got a 3 inch cut on the side and it leaks air... could i put an innertube in it?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't be a good idea. It will eventually start to tear apart and open up. Just not safe. If anything you could tube it, run very low pressure just for an emergency trail spare to get you back to camp, and that would be pushing it as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion though.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It's a goner..

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You minght want to search Pirate4x4, there was a vendor that was able to fix tires like these.

5. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Definetly dont run a tube the way it is now!!!!! Dont even THINK of running it on pavement.. Might make a good trail spare though. As Jeb said, it will eventually tear apart...

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

check in your town there has got to be a place that re-vulc's tires, for big trucks i am sertain they can fix it!
    LUKE

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the tire can be repaired. I worked in a commercial tire shop where a cut that small is not a huge deal. find a good local shop. they shape and layout of the cut are going to have an effect on what type of repair is done.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Aren't SSRs radial tires? I did not think you could section a radial tire or repair the sidewall. Since you trailer your rig I would not see a patch and tube as being out of the question. Especially if this is the tire you cut at Truckhaven.

It only leaks when it is on the bottom anyhow:haha: .

Ira

9. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt dare try and fix a gash like that unless its a trail only rig..just a cheap copout that will likely result in death @ 70 mph

Got pics?

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

please tell me what knowledge you base your responses on. it's good to be concerned, but from the damage described it seems like a simple fix. but thats just my opinion after working for years with damaged tires.:rolleyes:

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I cut a backshot mudder back in the day on the sidewall. I laid down a patch, boot and filled the slit with right stuff and kept t for a spare. Its still holding air like 5 years later and had to run my cummins on it for a day last summer.

12. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

well i dont know if hes talking about a tiny scratch and then leaking a little in one little spot, or an all out blowout tear.. My grandfather hit a piece of metal with his tire and it put a 3-4 inch hole flapping around on the side of it..luckily he was only going around 25-35 mph when it happened. Tire looked pretty damn scary to me..

My mental picture of this guys tire is basicly a knife drag 3 inches long..in whichcase, you go to turn and it expands the cut, eventually ripping the tread from the sidewall

13. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

ill start by saying i have no experience with repairing or retreding or rebuilding tires.

a few years ago, i lost a good friend, and a fellow moderator of another forum i was a part of. he was driving a buick grand national on retred tires at 70-80 mph on a highway when they both let go. the car flipped several times and he was killed.

my ignorance openly admitted, my opinion on repaired, and retred tires is that if youre running 18 wheels, youve got 18 lives, and its not a problem. but on a car with 4 tires, there is no logiclal reason not to spend the 100-200 bucks and be safe. I will personally never run anything but a new tire on any of my vehicles.

that being said, ill leave this thread to people who know more about it than i.

14. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Amen to that, K5 dreamer...
    Buy a new tire! Shell out the 100-200 bucks and be done with it!

Tires make almost all of a vehicle.. Not something you should take the easy route on.

And remember the bigger the tire and lift on these rigs...the more you depend on your tires, your 37' drops to the rim on a truck with 12 inches of lift barreling down the highway..your SCREWED, and so is anybody else near you!!! Good chance you would live with these bigass vehicles but if you hit a full family in a car...

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is a cut (not a tear) in the sidewall about 3" long from the rim straight outward toward the tread. It is almost perfectly centered in the sidewall. The cut only leaks while on the rig and the cut is at the bottom of the tire. There is no blowout or anything with this tire and the tread is about 75% I would say

His tires cost way more than $200 also I see no reason why he cannot run an internal patch and a tube.

So I should change out my tires because the tread is chunking heavily and I drive to and from the trail? Come on guys use your heads here.

Ira

16. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

fix it, patch it, tube it, run it on the back, dont see no harm runin a bad side wall on the back of a trail rig

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm running a tube in my right rear due to a sidewall leak.

If you want to add an extra layer of protection (and you don't have a local place to have it re-vulcanized), you can "sew" the cut closed with safety wire, then patch the inside, then run a tube. It'll hold forever.

Like so:
    http://www.jonfund.com/technical/sidewall.shtml

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Can you re-vulcanize a radial?

Ira

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Rubber is rubber. I don't see why not. The only real difference between a radial and a bias-ply is the steel belts on the tread. The sidewalls all use the same stuff, just oriented a little differently.

These guys claim to be able to repair just about anything, so I would think it doesn't make much difference.

Bunch of sidewall patches listed here.

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So they can be repaired it just depends on the number of cords cut by the offending spot. The cut in question is just a slice so minimal cord damage according to their write up.

Ira