Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a problem with starter/ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 13, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

while the motor was out i did the u joint steering shaft, but i had to change columns (wrong end, plus tilt was loose) i got a column out of a 82 k10 (this truck is a 77) and put it in and realized that the switch was different. the 77 pulled and the 82 pushed, i realized that the plugs were just turned upside down and it worked.

i got the new motor in and hooked the starter up and tried the key and nothing. i crossed it on the starter and it started right up. the only thing is if it quits i have to wait for it to cool to start it again. (headers /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif yea i bunt my hand once today /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)

first thing i checked were the fuses, found 1 blown and replaced it and did nothing

then i thought it was the switch, because it cranked over with the old motor. i pulled the switch and plugs and tried to hot wire it and nothing.

so now we are some where between the starter and the switch. the fuse link on the fire wall looks good.

what else can i check? what else could it be? i need to get this thing going tommorrow. i want to drive it but i don't want to incase it stalls and can't start it.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your sure the wiring on the switches didn't change?

I'd be surprised if the ones on the starter switch did, but the ones that run down the column changed a couple of times, although the plugs themselves stayed the same.

3. big83chevy4x4

ill check that tommorow. thanks

the thing that get me is that i cant hot wire it from the wires on the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I bet if you run 12 volts straight from the battery to the distributor and crank it, it will run. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

it does run, i just cant start it with the key, i have to cross the terminals on the starter and it will fire up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

Did the small wire on the starter get put on the right post of the two small posts only one will work might check that.For a quick fix just run a hot wire threw a push button switch to that small post. That will save you from burning your hands starting it until you track down the problem.

7. big83chevy4x4

ok i got it figured out. it was none of what anyone sugested. it was the neutral safty switch. it wasn't in park all the way /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. i am under neath adjusting the linkage and my friend is playing with the gear lever and key and it rolled over /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif