Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got A Question about my rear window?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, May 26, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

I just got my 88 k5, lifted it 4" and threw some 33's on it for now. I am in the process of working out the few minor problems that are known to me, such as this one. My rear window rolls up and down just fine with no problems, except when in the fully down position there is about a half a inch of window still sticking up out of the gate, is this right or should i take the gate apart to find out whats up, or what is your guys opinions? Thanks for the Help.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my 88 does the exact same thing only some days its a little bit farther down than others...i just deal with it, didnt know if there was a way to fix it or not...

Later

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

pull the panel off and look inside. might just be a bunch of dirt inside or the window might be in wrong.
    grant

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take the panel off and look inside and you will find a window stop. You may adjust the stop so that the window will go down farther.

5. Krase

Krase Registered Member

Ok, i took the panel off, and remove the rubber stopper and rerouted the cables, but still have like a quarter of an inch left, i agree this is not much, but when in a couple of weeks i will be hauling two kayak's around, i dont want to take the chance of cracking the glass, the metal bar that goes into the stop channel operates fine but for some reason it wont go down any further? Is this a motor problem (even though it goes up and down with out a hitch and fairly quickly) or am i missing something.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is that stock that they stick out somewhat?

I never tried 'adjusting' my '83 or 87 tailgates to get rid of the partial glass problem, but I just figured it was a stock deal for some reason. It would obviously be kinda dumb for that to be stock though...

If you figure it out, let me know, although I gotta get back into mine to see why the key switch isn't working again. (last "fix" worked all of 5 minutes after complete re-assembly lol)

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I think it is designed that way because if it goes down any farther you run the risk of the window going below the rubber weatherstripping, then the window would get wedged in the down position. I wouldn't worry too much about it, the window is pretty strong so you shouldn't chip or crack it.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my window is chipped already and want to prevent future chips, so if anyone figures out a fix for the problem, keep me in mind.

9. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Yeah i have the same deal going on. Just a week ago i hauled two motocycles in the back and rolled em right over that little bit that sticks out. Alsoi had the cover off tailgate and the tires kinda rested on the glass. 300 miles and no breaking. I was worried but its okay.

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Lube the cable

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I got the same deal. I took the glass out and installed new channels R & L (includes new felt) cleaned & lubed every moving part and even took out the the rubber bumpers in the bottom of the gate. Still have about 1/4 in of glass showing. My buddy suggested having a glass shop cut the top of the glass off.
    Jim

12. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

My window was shot at and is shattered, yet it still rolls up and down fine. A few little chips shouldn't hurt it too bad.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

The glass in my 76 goes all the way down. Nothing showing. Doesn't catch on the weatherstripping (which is new). It's a manual.

14. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

The window should go all the way down in the gate. The run channels on each side are probably full of dirt or some thing or maybe just a weak motor. As for having the top of the glass cut of you can't unless you have the laminated backglass wich is kinda rare no only that then when you rolled it up there would'nt be enough to reach the top