Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a Question for ya'll

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 17, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Got a Question for ya\'ll

I just looked at a '79 Blazer. One thing I noticed that I'm not familiar with is on the transfer case shifter knob it has 2 Loc, 2, N, 4, 4 Loc. I'm use to the 2, N, 4 high, 4 low. What is the Loc? Or does it just stand for Low?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Got a Question for ya\'ll

Yes, i do believe it is just another terminology for low.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You have a NP203 transfercase. It has been converted to partime.
    Boss

4. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

I believe with that Blazer it runs off the front end and when you shift into lock it locks in the rearends or vice versa .

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Youre looking at a full time 203 case. There is a differential in the 'case. The thing works something like this:
    L Loc: Locks the front and rear together in Low range
    L : Head down to low-rangeville
    N : COME AWN!!!
    H : Wheels with the least traction get the stuff
    H Loc: Locks the front and rear together in High range

This is my best guess. The 203 in my P/U doesn't have a tag on it so I just jack with it till I've got forward motion. Don't really mess with which one I'm in.

Kyle
    89K5

6. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

Boss are you sure it means you have a partime kit in your 203 with the writing on the t-case knob because mine came that way. I have been wondering why it has it on the knob.

James Rusty 79

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it didn't say "L loc, L, N, H, H loc"?? The 2s and 4s don't make any sense at all for an NP203.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

Sorry about that the knob on my t-case has the low loc and all that on the knob.

James Rusty 79

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well now that you mention it it might have been H Loc, H, N, L, L Loc. But I can't remember. I'm gonna go test drive it tomorrow and I'll see for sure. But from what I understand this K5 is full time 4 wheel drive. If thats the case how do these run on the high way and is the MPG any differen't than part time? I've never owned a full time 4x4 before.

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

James,

Well, yeah, b/c the 2 would stand for 2wd, NP203 are fulltime, but can be coverted to partime with mile marker conversion kit.
    Boss

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

My '78 is like this (fulltime converted to part time). MPG sucks! On good days, (i.e. tuned up) I get about 12 in the city and about 15 on the highway.

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

12 mpg aint bad. My old truck had a built 350 with 35 inchers and it got 7 in town.

13. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

You should have 2wd in that truck. The junker has np203, and I think it has 2,2loc,n,4low,4loc on the ball, not that I can find the shifter at the moment. Anyway, my front yoke spins free, untill I moved one of the shift arms, then the yoke was locked. I would figure that means in 2 loc or 4 loc the front is engaged, in 2 hi and 4 low it's not, and nothing pulls in N. I'm pretty sure that's right, and I seriosly doubt the junker's been altered. I don't even think the tranny fluid was ever changed.

14. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If your truck has the 203 transfercase in it is says L Loc, Low, N, Hi, H Loc on the floor plate or the shifter ball. To tell if it is still full time, look at the front tires. If the hub is a solid center with nothing to turn it is still "full-time" four wheel drive. It's not really full time but close. The front components and driveline still spin even if it is in H but the hubs aren't locked until you put it in Loc.

If it has hubs to turn, then it has been converted to part time. The conversion is a two part kit. The hubs and the tranfercase part. If just the hubs were changed then the front driveshaft should still spin in H. If the transfercase was also changed then the driveshaft should not spin. The hole kit is only about $80 -90.

Gas milage varies greatly from truck to truck depending on set up. The full times get about 1-2 mpg less than the coversions on average if you compare automatic tranies only. The 203 is for automatics only.

General Benifits of full time. -You don't have to get out to lock hubs . Hence you don't have to stop to go into 4 hi. From GM "It is automatically set for the best traction at all times" - I think they are talking about highway conditions.

General Benifits Part time. - Better gas milage and less wear on parts and tires. Some people say a feel of more power. Ie all the torque goes to the rear wheels instead of being split front/rear.

General Drawback of full time - More tire wear and driveline wear. If you put it in 4 wheel on Dry pavement you will screw it up.

General Drawback of part time- You can get dirty or wet locking hubs and the 203 conversion will have to be put in 4 wheel at least monthly to keep the transfer case parts lubricated. ( That's not really bad but some folks don't get out much)

Whew!!!

15. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hey MudFrog:

What you have there is a very fine piece of metal. I love my NP203. It makes your truck handle better on-road. There are some people that convert it to part-time with a kit looking to improve mileage, but many have discovered that the changes are minimal, while they loose the benefits of full-time-4x4.

This transfer case originally has HI-HILOC-N-LOLOC-LO on the shifter. When you are in Hi or Lo, both driveshafts will receive power, but there's a differential (like the one in an axle) between both driveshafts. This means that the driveshaft with the least resistance is the one that spins the most. So if you raise only one tire of the ground, and you don't have a locker or posi in your axles, only that tire will spin and your truck will not move.

When you shift into HiLoc or LoLoc, both driveshafts get locked and must turn at the same rate, no matter what. This is the equivalent of 4Hi and 4Lo found on other transfer cases. In these positions at least one tire of each axle must turn (if you they don't have locker/posi), just like the 4wd position of other transfer cases.

On hard surfaces, you must use the non-loc positions because not all tires turn at the same rate when you make a turn. There's no point in locking your tires on hard surfaces anyway, and something might break. So, you should use Hi for highway. Use Lo when moving around in tight spaces or when backing with a heavy trailer, or when you simply want to go really slow. Use the Loc positions when you're losing traction off-road.

I'm not so sure about the part time kit, but from what I've read, it makes your Hi and Lo positions be 2wd (no differential and no power to the front driveshaft). I don't know if they remain in the same order, tough. They also include the locking hubs for the front axle, so 4wd is operated like the other transfer cases.

Hope this helps you understand your truck and make better decisions when using it[​IMG].

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to understand now :). And the Blazer does have manual locking hubs so I reckon they did add the part time kit. I'm still debating about getting this one or not. It has quite a few things wrong with it for the money their asking, but I reckon as long as I did the work myself it shouldn't be too bad. So for now the hunt for a K5 continues. Anyone going to the truck show in Carlisle Pennsylvania? I might take some money up their and see what they have. I've been a couple times and they usually have pretty good deals on some K5's. If ya'll know anyone selling one in Va. or that will be at the truck show let me know. But I still definitely have my eye on this 79.
    Thanks for the help ya'll.

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey MudFrog
    first off love that cyber name[​IMG]
    second sence you are in the market to get a K5 just thought I would share a couple K5 features that I like!
    Full convertable top available from 69 to 75 is Very cool to have if your weather is compatiable with that!
    Also over the years I have spent major bucks just like the rest of us that have K5 feaver to improve or rigs for reliability and functionality. On that note I would try to find a rig with a solid body and all the 'little' things still intact and working.May take longer to find one but will save you lots of time in the long run! The drive train can be swaped,modified,repaired,tweeked whatever and the market out there is plentiful of Chevy drivetrain parts, so no worries there!! I would take a step back and think about what it is you what most out of the AWSOME K5!![​IMG]
    Best of Luck!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey Burt4x4,
    Glad ya like the name. I am being picky about the blazer just for the reason you said. I don't mind if it has some mechanical work that needs to be done, but I've never done body work. And I agree with the fact that you can swap and customize the heck out of these k5's. I had and 85 scotsdale that I wouldn't have traded for the world, but me and my wife had a little boy, and I couldn't afford gas and repairs. I ended up getting a heck of a deal on a cherokee (please stop throwing stones at me, it was good on gas) But now we are a little bit better off financialy, so I'm in the market for a K5. Now if I understand a K5 is basically a shortbed with a camper shell and extra seat. Is there any other difference(wheelbase, transfer case, etc.)? I hope I'll be a fellow K5'r soon.

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know more about the first gen K5s!
    I know that 69 to 72 K5s are the shortest Chevy 4x4 wheel base you can get! Dialing in at 104". I don't know for sure if the shortbed 4x4 chevy is over the 106.5" mark that 73 up is sitting at or not?? I belive the same drivetrain componets for a givin year were used on both the K5s and P/U 4x4s and the swapabliity is definitally there between the two!! Other than a rear mounted gas tank I realy can't think of much else! But then again I had allot of fun the the late sventies/eary eighties so my memory ain't all that good!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

20. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A Blazer has a shorter wheel base than a short bed pickup. Otherwise, the drivetrain is identical to a 1/2 ton truck.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350