Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a questoin for those with dual batteries and a BIC unit...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, May 8, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am going to be getting a Hellroaring BIC with a solid set of new batteries...I was just curious how you guys wired it up with the BIC. I am thinking about getting an Exide Orbital Gel Cell Starting battery and an Exide Orbital Deep Cycle to take care of all the loads from the cabin when the truck is off (like the lights, radio, etc) I am just curious how you wired it up and how you like it...

Did you wire it up to just have more juice in engine-on situations like winchin ,or did you wire it up so you can run down the deep cycle at the drive-in and stil startup the truck fine and charge the deep cycle wile you drive...?

I was thinking about the second diagram down on THIS page...and suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

can't you put the remote switch on there and do all of what you are asking.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What exactly does the remote switch do?

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I got the higher end model they offer and wired it like this:
    [​IMG]

It works great so far. I can start when the main battery is dead or removed and it cranks just as fast as the main battery would. I have a red top Optima as the main, and a blue top deep-cycle as the backup. With this setup, they don't recommend having any loads on the second battery while the truck is running, but you can run it down while the truck is off. I chose this setup because it can run up to 300 amps across the BIC unit, while the other model can run up to 150. I plan on adding a winch someday so the extra power definitely will help.

How you wire it really depends on what you're using it for. They have tons of diagrams on different wiring schemes for all the various applications. So far I'm very happy with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been running the BIC for hmmmm heck I think 2yrs now. I wired it as a true back up battery, nothing is connected to the + side of the second batt. The BIC will auto sence both batt's voltage and direct the alt's charge to whichever batt is in need of charging. I also got the remote switch setup from Hellraoring. It is a must in my mind the LED will give you GREAT in cab diagnistics to your charging system. I don't really see a reason for running the deep cycle on the second batt althogh alot of folks do it that way. The alt and the BIC together will keep both batts at full charge so if you hook it up as a true backup your second batt will never be drained the main batt will be the only one that is subject to draining,ie running the stero all night long. I am using two red top Optimas.
    I think Hellroaring is the Sizznick!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Chris,

Well you know I don't have one of these at the moment (still undecided as to its benefit) but from their web page it looks to me like the remote module has two functions:

1) it is a manual bypass of the BIC's sensing logic (i.e., it's got three positions: "off" to disconnect the betteries, "auto" to let the BIC act normally, or "on" to connect the batteries regardless of voltage levels)

2) it has an LED which gives you the same diagnostic info as the LED on the unit, but you don't have to open your hood to look at it.

IMO, the remote module would be a nice addition to allow you to control the behavior of the BIC when troubleshooting or when you "know better" than the BIC.

cheers!
    Kevin

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

To add to that would be that when the LED is in the 'on' or center positon the LED is or should allways be shinning. If you have the switch in that position and your LED does not shine then your voltage is droping below normal. If you have been driving for a bit and the LED never shines then your altinator is dead or the BIC is no longer reciving a charge from your alt. This happend to me and sure enough my alt had died on me and I knew about it BEFORE my batteries were drained. This is key for saving the batteries life span. In return I save money cuz my batts didn't have a chance to die also. When your batts cost over 100 bucks this is a BIG bonus in my mind!!
    After that day I will recomend this product to anyone that wants a dual batt setup!