Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

got a Ramsey 9.5 winch for $419...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Nov 20, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

Needed a new winch for my new winch bumper...after a search i figured out to stay well away from the chineses winches like MM, tmax etc

Well WARN was about double what i was willing to spend, i found the Ramsey 9.5 REPe series winch.
    List was nearly $800
    simular stats to a new warn 9.5ti...slightly slower above 8000#s
    On sale at http://www.ok4wd.com for $419 :)
    Also picking up a roller FAIRLEAD for about $20 bux on ebay
    Im a happy camper :D

No afiliation with them, but a good deals a good deal.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Very good deal. How much was shipping?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm.... I can drive to OK4WD in about 30 minutes...

4. camarossguy2

$60...still made it less then sams offroad or something like that who was $500

BTW heres the new winch bumper
    [I dont have much bandwidth at all so if you get red Xs...your too late..try back later]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Nice looking rig!

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Just remember that when comparing winch speeds you need to look at where you will be most often in your area in terms of wire left on the spool. The winch has its most power on the first wrap but you aren't supposed to use that first wrap so the second wrap is where you get the best pull. My Warn 9.5ti came with 125' of cable and warn drums hold about 24' per wrap. Here in the northeast I rarelly have to pull more than 40-50ft of cable tops. So most of the time I am no where near my prime range on the winch. I would actually have more pull most of the time from a M8000 because it comes with 90ft of cable so most of the time I would be on the 2-3 wrap rather than the 5-6 wrap on my 9.5ti. I am going to cut off 50ft of the 9.5s cable so that I am in my power band and can keep the other 50ft in the back with loops terminated on both ends in case I ever find a spot with no trees. :D

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was wondering about that... I bought a ramsey patriot 15k and it only has 90' of cable.... the 12k came with 120'... people told me I will want more cable... but hopefully 90' is enough.....
    havent got to use it yet... just got it finished.... with a 90A draw with no load... and dual batteries..... and a 63A alt.... I can still kill the dual batteries with the truck running and not even have the cable all the way in!!!!!

8. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

More power please lol

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That shouldn't happen!!!!

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the winch bumper and how much was it? :D

Rick

11. camarossguy2

that was a kennesaw mountain wincher
    $850 shipped or so with options i had

I dont recomend them though, bumper is good but service very bad. I read on this site that there were slow...so i specifically asked them to give me a guaranteed ship date....Well 5 weeks came and no bumper...called and they said that i actully had to pay for the expitdite service...which would have been nice to know 5 weeks ago
    Well i was told 1-3 weeks more...called back in 3 weeks...and was told 2-4 more weeks....
    Its not that the bumper takes a ong time to build, that only took 3 days according to them... But it did end up taking about 10 weeks for them to start on it :eek1: :mad:

IF they would have said 10 weeks to begin with, thats fine, but it was all the decption and smart ass comments from the owner Kyle that pissed me off. "That what you get for livin in a instant gradification would son!'" :mad:

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I hate that kind of s*!t. It is not instant gratification. It's giving a promise, or your word, and not following through. I quit dealing with a good motor guy, for that reason. If you tell me it will take a year, then I can decide if I want you to do it. Mabey I will, mabey I won't. But if you tell me 2 months and it takes a year, I should be able to shoot you in the nuts for lying to me.
    rant off

13. bigjbear

Same old story.

Kyle is a nice guy in person, but I don't think I would do business with him.

14. camarossguy2

Oh he sound nice the first time when you ordering, but hes really a dick with a calm voice.

What i dont understand is...If they wanna really be successful as a buisness:
    1: why not hire more people and start poppin out orders faster
    2: Maybe try to make the customer happy?? Can you imagaine if they had fullfilled this? I would have probally praised them all over the internet, showing off there work and customer service...but instead, I now wont recomend them, even though im pleased with my bumper. Thats how bas their customer service is.....I hope they fail(as im sure they will eventually) as a buisness...

15. bigjbear

I meant just hanging out and talking to him, not trying to deal with on the phone. KMA is a sideline for him at his families real business. Its been that way (crazy wait times) since I moved here in '97, and been talked about on every 4x4 msg board I frequent. Like I said, nice guy to talk to, but I wouldn't want to do business with him.

16. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal and I really like the design of your bumper. I considered that company a while back but also heard too many bad things about them. Do you have any more pics of the bumper, mounted and prior to mounting?

17. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

That is good IMO. I think Ramsey is on track with the 90' of cable. Gets you into the power band when you pull out 50'. I never pull more than 50'. Maybe in some areas you may require more, I don't.
    AFA your amp draw your alternator puts out 63amps at what RPM? Probably near 2K RPM. You need to keep the motor off of idle when winching or you will run down the batteries no matter how many you have. Extra batteries just gives you longer befor you stall the motor from lack of juice. I run one battery in my jeep with no issues but I watch my voltmeter and let off the winch when the voltage drops. I also set my throtle at approx 1800RPM when winching or running my OBA and OBW. Making a remote throtle cable and having a setting for belt driven accesseries is a nice and easy mod.

18. camarossguy2

Non prior to mounting, it went straight off the semi that brought it on to my truck...waiting that long will do that to you lol.

I can take as many pics as you want of anything you want.

I really really wish i had more pictures before i bought it, but i couldn't find a single person on this site who had one and the pictures kyle sent me were on some beat truck and very low detail. I took a chance, and LUCKLY, i got lucky and it does look very good IMO.
    only things i was disapionted on were that the resessed lights were just cut outs...i thought from the pics they might have welded a tube in there for a cleaner look. Also its kinda wierd that its so open inside...but i guess that thats expected.
    Lastly, i little more details...for example, rounded edges ont the two main stand ups for the grill gaurd, maybe cut out some holes in those like the $1600 buckstop.
    Actully my goal was to make it look like this one:[​IMG]

PIctures dont do it justice, they make it look flat to me...it really has good depth to it....stick out enough and has a rearward rake to the sides that give it a more modern look instead of the flat fronts old trucks have.
    Just let me know