Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a sandblaster from the guy and work, questions- media related

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 17, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, a guy at work had this sandblaster in his garage sale, all he used it for was clean spark plugs and brackets. It has sand in there now. Its a Craftsmen gravity/vaccum feed. Looks pretty cool. My question is what media should I use for different things. I'm mainly wanting to strip sheet metal of paint and rust and I might tape off my axles and blast them (they are out and disasembled).
    I have some brackets and things for the snow plow I need to cleanup and paint also.
    OH, I paid $25 and he delivered it full of media (real fine light brown sand). I also got some new tips and different size openings/fittings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Cheapest thing to use is going to be sand with this type of blaster, since you are going to lose most of the sand in the grass. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You could use glass bead $$$ or steel shot $$$ as well. Also, for axle's and bracket's sand will be fine, the sand will give the paint a more etched surface to stick to.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Light Brown sand is most likely Star Blast or it could be garnet, but I think its Star Blast. It is good stuff.

Silica sand is the most effective (playsand) but also the most hazardous. Silica sand can cause silicosis which basically screws up your lungs bigtime.

That said, for the little sandblasting I do, I use plain old silica sand. I am careful not to breath the dust, and because silica is the fastest and stripping you dont use as much.

Just my .02,
    John

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

use sand-blastin sand (not play-sand)

I borrowed one of those from a guy at work a couple of years ago. I was very disappointed in in. Of course the porcelain nozzle was a little worn out (that will effect how well it works).

I bought one of those pressurized blasters form Harbor Freight..haven't used it yet. I also have one of the cabinets and it works great.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd use sandblasting sand too....
    Playbox sand produces too much dust...
    I have a big piece of cardboard to catch and recycle the sand... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd get the FINE sand....so you can get into the pits of the rust spots you have...plus you will have less warpage!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as blasting an axle....it will take a while with that blaster...but it will work!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Be very carefull when blasting sheet metal. Heat from the media will worp the metal giving you more problems than what you started with. You can use silica sand but it will cause alot of heat. Plastic beads, or crushed walnut shells work best but also cost Much more. If you use the sand stay away from the work piece as far as you can and don't blast one spot very long. As for the axle and thick metal, sand is the way to go.