Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Got a steering Prob in front, dont turn as far right as i do left........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Ok me and a friend were playing on some Highway barriers at his work, (the ones they use to separate traffic) i was trying to put my tire on top of on of them, i dont have my front driveshaft right now so i was doing it on 2wd, and was prolly pushing a lil too hard on the front tire, i didnt do it for very long, but i noticed when i was driving home that i didnt turn as far right as i do left, i measured the distance betweem the front and rear axles, on the passenger and the drivers side and they both came out to 104-1/2" anyone know what could be the problem? Thx....

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you might have tweaked your drag link. Go look and see if it is bent.

Mike

3. Silver84k5

ok but it is one of those Drop drag links so i kinda think that it would be easier to bend then a straight one now that you mention it, gonna go check

4. Silver84k5

its straight,

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

See how many turns it takes to get fro mthe center to the locks on the steering wheel. It needs to be the same...1.75 turns sounds familiar to me, anyway, needs to be the same from center to each lock. You can adjust with the drag link...if the steering wheel has more turning to the left, then the draglink needs to be longer...thats the way they usually go. Also, I'm guessing you have a lift, since you have a dropped drag link. In that case, less turniing radius to one side is a characteristic of lifted 73-91 Blazers that you may just have to live with unless you do crossover.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

worst case scenario you stripped that worm gear thing in your steering box...but like i said worst case scenario

ask me how i know!!!

Later

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

strait is good, now adjust it and all will be good. you can hit a bump hard enough to make it "skip" a trhread or two and walla: its off.

8. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me after i lifted my truck. One of the steering peices needed to be a adjusted. An alignment shop fixed it when i brought it in for alignment. Still pulls to the right slightly but it turns lock to lock no prob now.

9. uglychevyZZ4

if it pulls, it either didnt get the camber / caster eccentric adjusted right, or it dont have AND needs one.

10. Silver84k5

after i put the d60 in i straighted the steering out, it was 3 full turns from lock to lock so i put it half way at 1.5 turns, when i took it in to Schwabs to have the Toe set on the front end, they claimed i needed a new steering gear, but since most of those guys dont know their ass from a hole in the ground i didnt take them serious, so that might be the Case, ill dig into it tommorow and see what i find, if i remember right those steering gears are Spendy arent they? thx for responses

11. uglychevyZZ4

you gotta remember......Schwabby type monkeys think you set a steering wheel strait by turning the FAWKING drag link /forums/images/icons/mad.gif idiots. thats what they think thats for /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

12. Silver84k5

hehe wahts the right way then? cuz thats how i straightned it was adjusting the drag link, maybe thats my problem...

13. uglychevyZZ4

HA-HA, theres the problem, on our style you use the the drag link for lock to lock, and to get the steering wheel straight you r & r it. it only takes like 5 minutes, just leave the nut loose and press it down, go for a ride, and pull over ( PLEASE ) to move it one way or the other to get it perrrfect /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    here is one just for you, [​IMG]